Options

Click sound on panel when AC condenser comes on.

I have 2006 342 that has a strange click sound when the AC condenser comes on. The breaker never trips, but makes the sounds like if you were to manually turn the switch on or off. Everything functions as normal (although, I think it may be time to recharge the coolant). The panel shows green without a polarity problem on the panel and we checked all the shore power lines and this is the only appliance that causes this click sound. Afraid to run the AC in case there is an arc somewhere. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Never heard of an issue like this before.  Can you pull the breaker panel out and take a look?  I know that's not exactly easy on some 342s.  There are a few threads on this forum about removing the panel.  There's usually not enough slack in the cable bundle, so you might have to remove the fridge for better access.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you positive that the click is at the panel? Very normal for the unit itself to make a bit of a click sound when the condenser kicks in. I know your unit is up front away from the panel but your vent is right by the panel and your probably hearing that click through the vent to the unit and not in the panel
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    upfronttechupfronttech Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2021
     We found it! I did some troubleshooting this morning and determined that the 30 amp aft inlet for the AC was faulty. Nice thing about Rinker, you have two power inlets! I plugged it into the mid-ship inlet and no click! We are in the Western Basin of Lake Erine, so when the water came in from the Noreaster a few weeks ago, it may have gotten tugged. I will replace both aft shore and AC inlet plugs to be safe. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you located? We are at bay point in Marblehead.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    upfronttechupfronttech Member Posts: 5
    We are at Toledo Beach