Options

How often do you replace a joker valve?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
The question is:  how often do you need to replace the joker valve on your boat's toilet?

I ask because I see people here on the forum having to replace the joker valve every year or two.  I have operated marine toilets for 23 years.  They get used every weekend all summer, and I have never needed to change a joker valve.  Manual toilet, electric toilet, vacu-flush toilet ... never had one single problem. Somebody 'splain this to me.  

And yes, we flush solid waste and marine toilet paper.  

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking the same thing. Had a Maxum for 20+ years and never changed it, and this is the 4th season with our Rinker and no problems. Are we just lucky?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my rinkers it was every other year. Agree though that I could have gone longer but not 10 or 20 yrs. IMHO it depends on how far above or below the waterline the toilet is. If the toilet is high enough there is no back flow and thus it’s not as needed.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Mine is more of a convenience replacement.  I'd rather do it to start the season in my drive way while its cool, everthing is clean than after a weekend on the lake when I notice a signature smell escaping into the cabin.  We've already had a week of 90 degree temps, any temp above 75 isn't ideal for boat service work!  I have a very sensitive nose to odors.

• Options
    John41John41 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I have a 2004 342. I ordered a new Joker valve because it looks like when I flush stuff comes back up. I’m sure it has never been changed. Hopefully I can change it this weekend. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replace mine once a year. My toilet must be slightly lower than the inlet to the tank. If it is weak, I get liquid gold back in my bowl. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Once a year..we use the head pretty regularly..lol
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I replaced a joker valve. I'm a believer in a cup of vegetable oil once a month and after winterizing the toilet.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Only changed once just because,never did in past boats
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replaced on a 20 year old Four Winns.  Hope I never have to replace one again!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Did it once because I learnt of it here. When the pump seal went last year I did it again seeing as I had it apart.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    edited June 2021
    @LaRea - I assume your 370 has vacuflush?  Which means you have duck bills now, not joker valve.  It's crazy to think you've never had to replace your duck bills.  You are now guaranteed to have to replace them this year (while at VA Beach) because you jinxed yourself! :smile:  BTW, Va Beach, while on vacation, is the where I first learned about duck bills and that eating peanuts is not a great thing for them.
    Post edited by Dream_Inn on

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking bowl placement might be a factor. I was every two seasons. I probably didn't have to, but after having to do it once mid season I started doing it in the spring when the lines had dried out over the winter storage. No muss, no fuss.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @Dream_Inn - I hope you're wrong!  :)   With a vacuflush, what happens when the duckbill fails?  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @Dream_Inn - I hope you're wrong!  :)   With a vacuflush, what happens when the duckbill fails?  
    It will just pump and pump and pump to build pressure but will never hold pressure. You would need to turn the pump on to use the toilet and turn it off when finished with your business until you get them replaced. We did it on my in laws boat for a couple summers until I convinced them to do the duck bills and it was fine, but their switch was in the head. That was 10 years ago and replaced bills are still holding well. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I did a full rebuild when i replaced the motor a few years back.  Thankfully it has been worry free since then.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You replace it when you smell the stink ... period. You don't need to do preventative maintenance on that item, it isn't going to break anything except maybe your laughter, when one of your mates is in the head and complaining about the stink (his own mind you).

It's easy to replace too.

One of mine lasted 3 years before I had to replace it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Yes, Liberty is right.  It will just keep pumping, or cycle every so often.  I had issues with mine two summers ago and waited until winter and would just turn the switch off.  That winter I changed like everything (duck bills, gaskets, bellows, pressure switch) in the vacuflush before I got it to hold vacuum on my work bench at home. I installed it and then it kept pumping over and over! I figured something in the vacuflush!! Tired of dealing with it, I spent $1400 and put a new one.....still kept pumping....at that point it was the seal around the foot pedal of the toilet (water does not leak, so it makes it tough to spot).   So, I have a spare vacuflush at home with all new parts now.  Both hold a vacuum for months at a time. :wink:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express