Options

Safety issue with bow thruster

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
I had an issue with my bow thruster on the weekend that I wanted to share with everyone. We were backing into our slip and to control the front end I went to bump the bow thruster on and the solenoid fused closed and I could not turn it off. We were able to tie off the stern so it would stay put but then the fun began to try to shut off the thruster. I am assuming that this was a factory install but am not sure. There is no battery shut of switch and no safety breaker so I was running around the boat to find a 1/2 inch wrench and pull the neg battery terminal. Sounds easy but in a panic situation that 1/2 wrench was hard to find . As I pulled my senses together and went below with the wrench I could here the motor slowing down as the battery was loosing it's power .Of coarse the battery box cover would not come off. I will be installing a shut off but wanted to share this with the group so that everyone could check their system for a proper shut off. 

Comments

• Options
    John41John41 Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    That sounds scary. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is horrifying.  Mine has a big shut-off button (like you would find on an industrial machine), but that said it is located up in the v-berth so not easy to access.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Panbo ran a similar article recently about a failed solenoid and the panic it caused.  Glad you didn't end up with damage.

Did you find a replacement for the solenoid?  I'm due for a new thruster battery soon, so I wonder if I should replace my solenoid and maybe install a breaker/shutoff switch.  
  • Options
    Yes I did , not cheap at $1000.00 Canadian and there was only one in a warehouse in BC. I will be installing a breaker/shut off switch. Luckily there was no damage to the boat but if it had stuck on before I put a line on the rear cleat or say going into the fuel dock it would have been a huge issue . I understand that other than the control stick everything is at the bow but I would think a shut off braker at the helm would be a must when putting the boat together. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is scary! Glad it Andes ok. At the helm My thruster has two on buttons that must be pressed together to turn the thruster on. Then an off button. Do you have an off button at the helm? Didn’t work?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'm very surprised you do not have a battery shut off.  Was the install aftermarket?  I'm glad you got the boat back in safely. 

Thanks for making us all aware.  I know I have a battery switch down under the v-berth (which is not convenient, but is there if needed).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Wow!  $1000 does not fit in my budget for preventive maintenance.  The Panbo article also said he spent around $1k.    

But maybe I'll install a remote battery switch.  This one from Blue Sea Systems sells for $165.  At 12 volts, it handles 1000 amps for 30 seconds, and 400 amps for 5 minutes.  I think my boat has a battery switch under the v-berth next to the battery (like @Dream_Inn mentioned), so this device could probably be a drop-in replacement.  

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-7700-Battery/dp/B0016HRUPE

• Options
    Wow that is scary! Glad it Andes ok. At the helm My thruster has two on buttons that must be pressed together to turn the thruster on. Then an off button. Do you have an off button at the helm? Didn’t work?
    @Liberty44140 the controller at the helm only operates the solenoid.  Once the contact in the solenoid welds itself shut, the only solution is disconnecting the battery. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @Liberty44140 the controller at the helm only operates the solenoid.  Once the contact in the solenoid welds itself shut, the only solution is disconnecting the battery. 
    Gotcha. I have a battery switch next to the thruster battery box but I would still have to run down below and open a hatch in the floor to get to it. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I have an "automatic main switch", it was about $500 USD.  Looks like it offers similar protection to the Blue Sea option @LaRea posted above.

https://blog.side-power.com/en/onboard-safety-why-you-should-have-an-automatic-main-switch
  • Options
    After I replace the solenoid I was going to take it apart to see what actually happened but it is welded shut so there was no option other then disconnecting the battery. The install looks factory. Would be interesting to see what Al has to say . As everyone knows he was at Rinker in 2005. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if it was a factory install in 2005.  I know that they are becoming much more mainstream now...even on smaller boats.  Which Rinker do you have?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    My friend's '05 320 (sold last year) had a bow thruster that I'm 99% sure was factory-installed.  
  • Options
    Seems like the factory install was a Lewmar. I assume the factory installs started around the same time as the thruster breaker was added to the panel?