Options

2020 Rinker 320 Battery Switches

tmagrealtytmagrealty Member Posts: 1
edited June 2021 in Rinker Support Q&A

We have a 2020 Rinker 320 EX, we are a bit confused about how to use the battery switch panel.  The panel has four switches: starboard engine, port engine, house and generator.  The dealer told us those switches are to remain in the "on" position all the time. We do not know if that is correct and cannot find any information about its proper use in the owners manual. The past few times we have been out and anchored one battery shows low voltage when we restart and not charging even though we are running the engine. Once we return and connect to shore power, the battery seems to charge. We do not know if we are using those battery switches correctly and cannot find information on the internet about it. 

This is what ours looks like:

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I have a 2014 310 EC - which is the same as yours, just a name change over the years. Exact same layout and same battery switch.

The switches are for exactly what they say (from left to right): Port Battery (that's your starting battery for the Port engine); House (this goes to your house battery to power onboard 12v items like lights, etc.); Generator (used to start the generator, I can't remember off-hand, but I think it uses the port battery); and finally the Starboard Battery (which starts your Starboard engine).

Some people leave them on all the time. I do not. I turn them all off when away from the boat. There is no reason to turn them on unless you are using them to 1) Start an engine or generator, 2) Using lights, etc. when on the boat and away from shore power.

If you stick your head in the engine compartment, look for this panel and you'll see what is powered by which battery (and switch)...

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave house and engine battery switches on and generator battery switch off. I leave the generator off because the display is always on.   Really just personal preference. 

Which battery is low, the house battery? What are you running at anchor? Stereo, fridge…?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmagrealty , you said the battery isn’t charging while running, it could be a bad alternator.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I also look at these switches like the front door to your house. When you come home you turn the lights on, when you leave you turn the lights off. You don't always turn them all on when you get there, or leave them all on when you leave. You use just what you need at the moment.