Options

core in rinkers - Rinker 390, 2006

Whic if any parts of hull and deck are cored??

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  I don't think Rinker used cored construction in any of their boats ... at least, not below the waterline.  I can say for sure that the hull of my 2007 370 is solid fiberglass 3/4" thick where I drilled to install a fish-finder.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    The hull is solid fiberglass to about 18" above the waterline.  The bow deck is cored at least on my 270.  Others might chime in more knowledgeable
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I remembered seeing someone drill a hole for a thru Hull transducer and it had plywood in between two layers? Can't remember where the post is. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Mine is solid glass up to the rub rails.  Some small areas have plywood glassed in on the inside where needed for mounting equipment (battery charger, etc.).  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I thought I remembered seeing someone drill a hole for a thru Hull transducer and it had plywood in between two layers? Can't remember where the post is. 
    Come on @Aqua_Aura ! It was me!! LoL

2001 242 Fiesta Vee

2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 oh yes of course. The man with the catalog of photos for the boat 😄. 

That was on your 242? So maybe the larger boats are all glass below the waterline since they are generally moored 🤷🏽‍♂️. I'll probably be cutting some holes in mine soon so I guess I'll find out. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, on my 242.
    If I can get a good deal on a new GPS for my 330 I’ll be drilling a hole this winter.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 cmon, a 242?  Totally different boat.  @aaaaahab your hull is solid glass.
  • Options
    @Alswagg are most larger boats mostly solid below the water or was Rinker just going above standard? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Did rinker switch to vinylester resin at that time? Polyester resin which is the cheapest and most popular resin for boat building has the least bonding strength and has been found to be more likely to delaminate when used with composites where as the blasa, when dry, was very light, strong and bonded well with polyester resins.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    @Alswagg are most larger boats mostly solid below the water or was Rinker just going above standard? 
    Tiara/pursuit and hattaras all build boats with balsa coring either in the hull or else where but a far better process than what was used in the 1970s.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Rinker hulls are spectacularly strong. We burned the brushes out of one HD shop drill and smoked the second one drilling holes for transom through hull exhausts. The dealer asked to keep one of the "plugs" to display to prospective purchasers.....and that was on the hull of a 190, arguably an entry level boat which we then installed a 390 HP engine in and that hull is still on the water today - a massive testament to Rinker hulls, IMO the best anywhere after all these years!