Options

8.2 Charging question

earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
I have an 8.2 with Axius and vessel View. The Starboard side is showing 14.2 volts when running. The port side is fluctuating from 13.2 to as high as 13.8. The alternator is putting out 14.75 volts. The battery is showing 12.7 volts with the engine off and 13.5 or so with the engine running. I have cleaned all the contacts as well as the alternator output wire. Any ideas on what to look for to get the charging voltage above 14v? The only item I did not check is the molex plug on the alternator.
Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Isolator 
    I have to admit I dont know much about those but I will track it down and clean the contact areas there. Thanks for the potential lead
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace it if old or original 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your isolator is the old diode style the 1volt drop  is  normal  across the banks.  The newer smart or combiner units are more efficient, i don't have one but I believe there is little no no voltage drop.  

And kind of a dumb question but are both battery banks multiple batteries? Have you made sure you don't have a weak battery(load test) port side that could be sucking down the power.

Having things like refrigerators and high power stereo systems running at anchor can suck down the battery juice quickly. A deep cel battery doesn't like running down past about 12 volts.  It can do it but at the expense of its life span.  Those that run down battery banks often need to test all batteries on that bank often as if one dies it can take out the other quickly if not caught in time.  
  • Options
    If your isolator is the old diode style the 1volt drop  is  normal  across the banks.  The newer smart or combiner units are more efficient, i don't have one but I believe there is little no no voltage drop.  

And kind of a dumb question but are both battery banks multiple batteries? Have you made sure you don't have a weak battery(load test) port side that could be sucking down the power.

Having things like refrigerators and high power stereo systems running at anchor can suck down the battery juice quickly. A deep cel battery doesn't like running down past about 12 volts.  It can do it but at the expense of its life span.  Those that run down battery banks often need to test all batteries on that bank often as if one dies it can take out the other quickly if not caught in time.  
    I have 5 batteries. 1 port start, 1 stb start, 2 house batteries and 1 genny start battery. I have not done a load test on them just yet as I figured I would start with the contact cleaning 1st and then go from there. I need to look at the isolator to see what style it is.