Options

Full Windshield in hardtop boat

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
Do anyone install a custom made FULL windshield in their hardtop boat meaning closing the cockpit with glass. Any ideas will be welcome. Thx  

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @oscar1 , you’re crazy!! LoL ! But would love to see what you come up with 😎
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a Four Winns where the owner did this. It looks really wonky because a proper coupe has a higher freeboard/lower hardtop to keep the proportions in check. It is doable, though. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hardtop and windshield looks really good like Liberty's. I would agree that the proportion may look odd. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Thanks AA. Yea Oscar I wanted this…. So I bought a different boat  ;) my hardtop is definitely not as high as my buddys sea Ray 40 hard top. We have been docked side by side and you can see how much higher his is. If he went to all glass it would look weird as the glass would be super tall.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of a glassed in cockpit. They would have to open though. Otherwise you would be building a floating ez bake oven.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I've only seen conversion on fishing boats/work boats.  Think like early mid 80s searay 28-30 weekenders.  

I see some pilot house conversions from time to time.  They are all boxy designs construction that doesn't look bad for work and fish boat designs but would look out of proportion with the smooth sleek angles and curves of modern rinker crusiers.

I think it would be easier/cheaper to stick with canvas and zipper/vinyl windshield.

That being said, im a hard top boater in the south not too far from you.  Our summers are about equally as hot as Miami minus the constant wind.  A hard top with a fixed windshield gets hot quickly.  We spend most of our lake days in the water, we took ownership of our hard top this time last year.

When we launched in May the day time temps were from mid 80s to low 90s but water temps still in the upper 70s making it too cold to be in the water. For me anyway.  Its hot and while it would require tons of work for me to install new/folding and likely a new place for leaks to come in, installing roof vents will be an easy evening of work.

Unless you plan to run the genny and AC nearly all the time and have an AC big enough to cool cabin and bridge areas I can see the deck of your boat being miserable 75% of the time.  Side windows at anchor and under way are near unless for keeping air circulating at the helm.

You can add opening front hatch windows or even rv style roof hatches with reversible fans in the fiberglass top to bring in cool air.  Sun shades for windows would be a must when at anchor/dock.

You live in Miami where some of the best boat shops in the world are located, one that could most likely make it look like a factory install.  

• Options
    I do love the look of these, carver 280 express hard top.  It's not uncomon to see the canvas extended to the transom.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do love the look of these, carver 280 express hard top.  It's not uncomon to see the canvas extended to the transom.  
    That looks like a Bayliner
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the comments. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    With a diesel at that….

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
     Hope no carver owners visit this site!  IHandymans342 said: