Options

Let's talk about Jim Black caulk

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
I pulled one of my Jim Black's and there was no caulk.  I was surprised, I expected a lot of caulk.

How much caulk should I use (and where) when I reinsert Jim Black?
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Had to look that one up ... do you mean overhead hatches?  Side windows?  I'd do butyl tape.  
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    This is a brand of hatches I've never heard of. But caulking around a new hatch sounds good to me. Andy
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++++ on butyl tape over caulk for that. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Not sure how I could use tape. The port light slides into the stainless flange and it’s a tight fit. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    LaRea said:
    Post a pic?
    https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/jim-black-593-315-05-02-02-750-white-3-x-15-opening-boat-portlight-window-w-screen

I forgot to take pics but you can see on GLS how the two pieces go together. I suppose I could just add a bead of caulk around the stainless trim ring and then clean off excess. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a few people who have taken these out to reseal them.  I used 4200 when I did it.  Be careful the window trim can be stuck to the wall upholstery and it's a pain to remove without damaging the vinyl.

I also resealed one from the outside by digging out the caulk between the chrome ring and the window and filling with caulk.  Also seal around the chrome ring.  Seemed to work well.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these the portlite windows?  If so, then caulk is the stuff to use. I used the Boatlife caulk…at least it is removable vs 4200. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I just did one too. Carefully with a blade from the outside between the gray plastic and SS surround cut through and break the seal of caulk there. Then from the inside remove screws, window and screen and then gently pry frame out, as @skennelly said, watch if it is stuck on the interior vinyl. Depends how well it was sealed before it may be easy or not - mine wasn’t too bad meaning not a lot of caulk/sealer. Clean off old caulk from both the SS surround and the insert and then apply new all over frame and port hole cutout. Push in the plastic surround and put in a few screws around the frame. Then back outside and clean up anything squeezed out and work back in to get a good seal in the gap between the surround and plastic frame - no gaps. Secure all screws and then check outside all is clean, refit window and screen.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/