Options

Anyone take their 270 rinker fiesta vee on a virgin island 5 day?

maxwellmaxwell Member Posts: 106
Is this boat too small to attempt this?
(Just the wife and I.)
We would be leaving from punt@ gorda area.
too ambitious?
considering this trip , among others.
Getting time in ,handling big waters in door county wi. presently.
All comments welcome
thanks.
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to go to the Virgin Islands from Florida? 

That's a long trip.  

Why not make it small steps and try for the Bahamas first (less than 70 to 90 miles).  

Weather will be key and you can likely meet up with other groups on similar boats doing the same trip. 

Once you hit the Bahamas your tow boats is likely useless.  Also make sure you're insurance hooks you up with a rider policy to cover you on the trip.

If you make that long trip from WI to go and weather doesn't cooperate you can boat in the keys for weeks, months, years even. 

You need more than 5 days to go to the Bahamas and back, you'd need perfect weather to rush it.  The time of year you decide on will also affect your weather windows. Im not saying you can't but waiting on a weather window that calls for smooth seas and good wind is a must.  On a good day the seas are smooth and clear.  On a bad day they seas are square, white cap and you'll be beaten to death at 5 miles per hour.  I've never crossed completely but I've fished in much smaller boats in 600 or so ft of water in the stream many times. I've seen days calling for .7 footers turn out to be 3 footers.  The wearher plays by its own rules and can change instantly.  

You can do it no problem in a 270.  You may need to store exta fuel as the range might be a little tight. Like I said, you'll need good weather.  Don't be afraid to turn back if it gets too rough.  

It's a trip id love to do one day.   People cross in much smaller boats and slower boats all the time and did so back when there was no GPS, they just used the lights shining from Bahamas at night.  Leave at 3 to 4am from Florida and arrive for brunch.  
  • Options
    Thanks Rick..that was sage advice!
    Were thinking about doing it in segments .
    2 days at most in  oneway,no port travel,shorter spurts,with marina fuel and fill stops as needed.
    We want to work our way down.
    Going back can be done in segments as well
    The better half is worried about piracy.
    Any thoughts?
    We have (sea tow) coverage ,I thought they were worldwide?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Sea tow has different policies I believe, i use tow boats USA which my regular unlimited tow policy doesn't cover me for ocean use. You'll need to research each destination youre headed to see about piracy but I'm betting you'll have more chance to be robbed at a gas station on your way down from WI to FL than at sea.  Bahamas, Cuba, PR, BVI are all popular sailing grounds.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    As @PickleRick says:  the most dangerous thing to carry on a boat is a tight schedule.  The smaller the boat, the more you need patience to wait if needed.  

Instead of putting in at P#nta Gorda, why not cruise down the Atlantic coast instead?  Put in at Melbourne, make your way down to Miami.  That way, you'd have the option to stay inside on the ICW if the weather is rough.  On the Gulf coast, you don't have a lot of options.  

Or go from West Palm Beach to Freeport (90 miles).
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    If you are talking about going to the US Virgin islands in a 27' boat don't even think about it. I have done the trip many times from the US east coast delivering boats 40' and up and often asked myself what am I doing out here. Mother nature has a way of messing up the best of plans. Just crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas can turn nasty if the wind turns to a northerly direction.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I have sailed from the Bahamas to the Turks & Caicos, then on to St. Thomas and throughout the BVI on a 46' sailboat. Simply put, there is no freaking way I would go from Florida to San Juan....let alone Florida to USVI and beyond on a 27', single engine I/O boat. Agree that the most I'd consider on that boat in open water is the 90 mile trip to the Bahamas that LaRae mentioned. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    That quote from the movie "Jaws" about needing a bigger boat comes to mind. Andy
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring a volleyball in case you need a friend 😜

Wilson!!!
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    There's a crusing guide (targeted to sailors) who have done the trip in much smaller sailing vessels (i know of at least one 22 ft McGregor who did it)

Generally the crusiers who have made the pass, seasoned sailors, who have done so on a schedule and it was a first and only trip.

Its called the thorny path.

So while i won't say it can't be done, you will need plenty of time for weather windows to open.  

There have been more than a few American boats abandoned in the islands after they survived the trip over.  Also plenty of them shipped over by barge then shipped back when they vacation was over 
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Bring a volleyball in case you need a friend 😜

Wilson!!!
    Reminds me of a 44' sailboat delivery. I was 20 miles offshore of  North Carolina southbound when a pod of Dolphins showed up playing with a beachball. By the time I found a camera they had gone. No cell phones back then.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes,the trip I also want to make and will....people do it on jet skis...just look on Y Tube- not discounting what anyone said and all are 100% valid points, except the volley ball....
  • Options
    The rinker forum and all rinker owners uniformly agree that relationships with any and all sports equipment, including but not limited to volley balls, is a bad idea
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    In 1993, Hugo Vihlen crossed the Atlantic in a tiny boat measuring only five feet and four inches long. We are just amateurs. Andy.
  • Options
    Read up on the adventures of Rimas on sailing anarchy kontiki style sailing....the fool drifted to Hawaii...and had to be rescued/towed many times
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that there is a lot of military action going on there now 
  • Options
    There is a lot to process here this morning.
    Thank you  to everyone ,on all your thoughts.
    Wife and I are not huge risk takers ,but we have learned that life is very short,and putting ourselves out there at times can be rewarding in more ways then one.)
    Doing this trip has been a goal/dream,of ours for many years.
    Piracy is about the only thing that will keep us home.barrier islands,ect
    Our boat will be tasting the ocean for the first time.(in **** Gorda),next year.
    Its a 2002,but has less then 250 hours on it and looks almost new.
    (well kept up,by previous owner)
    My sister,and husband  did this trip in a 20 ft sail rig.(small cabin)very small.
    I thought what we were going to use ,was doable ,as well as comfortable and safer,compared to that.
    I am rethinking this trip right now.
    Perhaps We will pay to have it transported to a port ,in the middle of the island chain.
    any thoughts on that?
    Who to use?,where to start?
    thanks again to all.

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many miles are you talking? I did 365 in mine over a couple of weeks.. maybe that's why it has been such a bear for the two years afterwards??

• Options
    It's over 1100 miles from Miami to St Thomas, USVI in a straight path. Probably closer to 1500 by boat. What is the safe cruising range for this boat. Carrying extra fuel is an option but can be difficult to do in the open ocean.
  • Options
    100 gallon tank, think the mpg was 1.8 at times. 
  • Options
    Having done close to 20 long cruises (300-500 miles) on fast express cruisers, one thing I have learned is:  if I average more than 40-50 miles a day, it will suck the joy out of my voyage. 

Once we visited 7 ports in 7 days.  In another trip, we cruised 500 miles (DC to Nags Head NC and back) in 7 days.  Both trips were fun, but completely exhausting.  Instead of arriving home rested and relaxed, we'd be a total wreck for 2-3 days. 

Now we avoid cruising two days in a row, and we rarely cover more than 125 miles in any single day.  Even in good sea conditions, it's taxing getting your body bounced around on a boat for hours at a time with all that noise and vibration.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott Laman, from the YouTube channel in Laman’s Terms, too his 270 from Miami to Bimini a few years ago. He made the trip with a group of boats since the boat has a single engine. I believe he made it to Bimini on one tank of fuel. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I am confused now..
    the boat does in excess of 44 miles per hour ..with a chevy ,400 I believe.
    double prop,and on plane .....is smooth and  pretty quiet.compared to others..
    rough seas..we would sit out for sure.

we have 2 months to do this.

I thought about waiting for ideal weather ,but could be too long of a trek.

We would most likely sell the boat when done.

fly back.
    a once in a lifetime trip.
  • Options
    Thinking of having it shipped to SAN JUAN..and starting  from there... via a flight

The virgin islands,just will not do it for us.
    Does anyone know what that may cost?
    I believe the boat is about 7000 pounds.
    Shipping container?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    In general, the factor that limits your cruise speed will be sea conditions, not engine power.  My top speed is 44 mph.  In smooth water, I can cruise comfortably at 37 mph, but those days are rare -- especially in open ocean.  In 1-foot chop, I have to slow down to 32 mph or the passengers complain.  In 2-foot chop, 29 mph. 

Keep in mind, my boat weighs more than twice as much as your boat.  There won't be a lot of days when you'll want to cruise much faster than 32.  
  • Options
    In that part of the world the trade winds blow from northeast to southeast depending on the time of year at 10 to 15 knots. In open water you will be in 2' to 4' swells. As a suggestion why don't you fly to St Thomas and charter a power boat there or Road Town, BVI for a week or two, it would give you a good idea what it would be like on an extended cruise.
  • Options
    maxwell said:
    I am confused now..
    the boat does in excess of 44 miles per hour ..with a chevy ,400 I believe.
    double prop,and on plane .....is smooth and  pretty quiet.compared to others..
    rough seas..we would sit out for sure.

we have 2 months to do this.

I thought about waiting for ideal weather ,but could be too long of a trek.

We would most likely sell the boat when done.

fly back.
    a once in a lifetime trip.
    Mine barely hits 35.. with a 383 stroker and 22p props. just fyi
  • Options
    maxwell said:
    ... we have 2 months to do this...
    Oh, now I get it!  I thought you were trying to do a 5-day trip, which would make no sense at all.  
  • Options
    5 days to get there...
  • Options
    Grahamu....I think that may not be a bad idea.
  • Options
    We have decided to go from **** Gorda.. to key west and back..
    Thats the trip directly in front of us..
    I want some ocean time ,before we ship the boat to Puerto Rico.
    Thinking...
    in a couple of years ...if we live that long..
    From there its  the adventure of 2 months in and out of ports,as we work our way down to the lower islands and back.
    We want to fish for our dinner at times,My sister did this as she was on a shoestring budget..
    any suggestions for bait??

Yes I know ..live shrimp.any thing else as in lures?