AC Compressor Cycling

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
Trying to understand normal behavior of a marine AC unit.

I have the 16k unit commonly found in the 330/350 of the 2008 era.  It cools great, however, the compressor cycles off and on seemingly at random (and before setpoint is achieved).  When it happens, the compressor cycles off and the pump does not stop.  After a brief pause, the compressor will kick on again.  The unit is not icing over. 

Once the desired temp is reached, the compressor and pump shut off as they should.

@Handymans342 or anyone else, any thoughts?

Thanks
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have thoughts but can't diagnose without being there but if the pump stays on and the compessor shuts off sounds like a control board issue. The only way to confirm would be to have a volt meter attached to the wires going to the compessor to watch the voltage
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you done a reset on it since buying? One of my previous boats ac did odd things. I found the book online and did a master reset back to all factory settings. All good, now I do that whenever I buy a new boat. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Handymans342, I will try the reset that @Liberty44140 recommended and if it's still cycling I'll get out the voltmeter.

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    My 9000 btu unit has a temp sensor installed inline to the power wire feeding the compressor that will cut the compressor off before it starts icing. The fan/pump will continue to circulate as normal. Once the compressor thaws back up to the desired temp she kicks back on. 

I don't know if you have such an item.

On an 90 degree day with 89 degree water, mine will activate more than a few times.

It was set on a deicing cycle. I changed the setting and all good now!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Awesome!    Im out here test running mine tonight.  I am trying to see how many beers I can drink before the temp goes from 78 to 70.  Then it's bed time.  

Is your thermostat like mine, way to fancy? I don't need a programmable one.  I want to turn it to heat, cool or off.  Fan auto or on.  Last but not least the desired temp.  

I don't need touch screen on a boat.
    Mine is just the basic thermostat that looks straight out of the 80s.