Options

Generator/Planing boards questions

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Still very new to all this but slowly understanding the systems. We were out on the water on Fathers Day on anchor for a BBQ with the kids and wanted to boil some water on the range so I started the generator and slid all the mains to the right (photo #1) but none of AC power seemed to be working?  Is there another switch or main someplace? All the AC current should work in this fashion shouldn't it? The generator seems to run great but am I missing something? 

Secondly, the boat seems to be having a little more trouble planing out than it did last fall requiring me to increase the rpm's considerably more now and the planing boards seem to have little effect in helping with it? They were definitely a huge help last season but not so much now. Based on the picture (#2) are they are electric actuators or hydraulic? I don't see a reservoir anywhere? When sitting at the dock I can hear them working so power is making it there but that's not to say that they actually are doing their job. The water is so unclear that I can't even see if they are moving up and down. Again based on the picture are these cylinders filled with gear fluid? 

Thirdly, what type of outdrives are these? 

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    The generator has a main breaker on its control panel, it needs to be on. If there is no reservoir they are probably Lenco Tabs which are electric.
  • Options
    It's actually on the generator itself in the engine bay Graham? 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Those are Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrives, and it looks like Lenco electric trim tabs.

To verify that the trim tabs work:  get on the swim platform and reach down with a boathook until you find the tab.  Then have somebody move the tab up and down.  
  • Options
    Thanks @LaRea. Just for reference how do the tabs function? Are they activated with the switch and then simply return to a set position on their own?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yes, it would be on the generator itself.

The drives look to be Mercruiser Bravo-3 drives.

As for planing, make sure your bottom is clean.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea, Yes that's what I meant by the generator control panel, not the main boat panel. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Grahamu appreciate it! A thank you to you too @Dream_Inn . The bottom is clean with new anti-foul. The only real change since last year is the addition of a Sideshift Bow Thruster but that clears out of the water creating zero drag almost immediately with very little throttle so I don't think that's the planing issue. 
  • Options
    The tabs move when you press a control button at the helm, and they stay in position when you release the button.  When you turn off the engines, the tabs automatically retract.  

In general, if you press the button for "port side down" it will lower the starboard tab, and vice-versa.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CnC said:
    Thanks @LaRea. Just for reference how do the tabs function? Are they activated with the switch and then simply return to a set position on their own?
    If you press “down” on the starboard side switch, the port side tab should move down. The longer you hold the switch, the lower the tab should go. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Well.... this explains a lot. Might account for why my planing issue is so out of whack? I'm everywhere on the spectrum from our boat looking like a praying Mantis to a deer tick buried on a dogs leg. Guess I better Youtube some videos on planing boards and see how I should be operating them. A short tutorial from you more experienced boaters in point form would be welcomed for sure.
  • Options
    Here's what I do.

Before getting on plane, put the outdrives all the way down, and trim tabs all the way down.  Smoothly go to full throttle.  As the boat comes up on plane, reduce throttle and put the trim tabs back up.  Once I'm at a decent speed, pull the outdrives up just a little bit (maybe 10%).  

Once you're on plane, ideally the tabs should be used only for leveling port-to-starboard (roll angle).  If you're using the tabs to bring the bow down, it probably means you need to move weight to the front of the boat.  A well-balanced boat doesn't need tabs to adjust the pitch angle.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with @LaRea's launch technique, although I only drop the tabs 1/2 way down.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Another trim tab tip.  If you are going slow in shallow water with the outdrives up, you'll find that the boat wanders back and forth like crazy.  Put the trim tabs all the way down, and it will reduce the wandering.  

I do this a lot on the shallow Potomac River.  
  • Options
    Wow great info here. Thanks guys!