Options

Condo Collapse Florida

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
Prayers to the families of loved ones who might be trapped in the collapsed condo in Florida. I know that condominium complex and have walked down that street. That was not a sketchy, in my opinion, condo. It looked really decent. I wonder if the water table was to blame, destabilizing the condominium's footings? Very sad, from the videos I don't think you would have had time to get out of the one tower as it went down so fast! 

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    The news said there have been reports in years past about the ground it was on was sinking at a fast rate.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    You can be sure the neighbouring buildings are being studied right now. Sad news in an already stressful year. Prayers to the families.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @halifax212....the Admiral said she thought the owners of condos in the adjacent buildings probably will have difficulty renting them and property values will "sink". Insurance could be a real problem too. Sad and likely dangerous. Scary videos, that one tower comes down so fast!

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will teardown. Build even more expensive condos that will displace the current owners.  They lawyers will feast off this for years too.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    A total collapse of this type is highly unusual to say the least. Underlying land was former wetlands. Building was sinking about 2mm a year based on a recent report. Forty years of salt air, hurricanes/flooding likely caused "spalling" in the concrete columns, weakening them. Rebar expands when it rusts. Still, many buildings have similar exposure and subsidence and don't fall down. No doubt questions about the quality of the original construction will be raised. Big lawsuits coming. 159 persons missing. I hope they find more survivors, but I doubt it. Maybe a cat. Andy.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned a 7 story building once, 32 unit apartment bld. it was built in early sixty's. all concrete construction. On the outside columns. there were small fisher cracks in them and missing chips or chunks, with rebar being exposed.   Had an engineer take a look, he said at 100 years the building will have lost it's value. I sold it three years ago. And in China they figure 100 year old concrete building must come down. 

Those people were in there sleep. Cannot imagine.  

@Michael T living where you do, it has to make you quiver. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad...I hope there  are some miracles. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    No way on earth I'd be in that "sister building" a block away, same design, same layout both built in 1981. It needs to be red tagged right now. Andy
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    So sad......... Prayers sent
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com