2002 fiesta vee 270..2 bilge pumps..w/float switches fail to pump water?

Unless key is turned on and bilge button  is pushed...then they work fine..
I am connected to shore power,..

battery switch turned to "off"

What the heck is going on here..?

should I leave the battery switch to "both'?

if I leave the batteries on ,will they run down?
even if my batterey charger breaker  is engaged?
I was told to dial battery switch to "off" when shore power is on.and put battery charger switch on...
bad advice?
I left boat in this condition,when returning after a week of rain.. found 3 inches of water in the bilge!..took 5 minutes to clear...
 now..
thinking of installing 3rd pump with stand alone battery as a  failsafe..good idea?

Comments

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Bilge pump should work with battery off (or on), without need for key on.  Sounds like it’s either wired wrong or float switch is bad.  Go into bilge with battery on and lift float switch with finger.  Pump should turn on.  If it does, switch is ok.  Then try with battery off.  If it doesn’t come on, I’d suspect improper wiring.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would someone recommend turning battery switches off when on shore power? That doesn’t make any sense to me. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • maxwellmaxwell Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2021
    float switches are sealed in a covered vented small boxes..I should replace then ...right?

brand new batteries ran down  in 3 days (with out) shore power hooked up,  one time..I was told by seller to switch off  batteries..to safegaurd batterys,no matter what.
    Bad advice?
    also..why does the radio not work unless key to boat is turned on??
    connected problem?
    even... with.... shore power engaged
    All advice appreciated..
    thanks.

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The radio can be rewired pretty easily to one of the accessory switches on the dash. 

The float switches don’t need to be replaced if they’re working - they are prob the original Rule float switches which I think are quite good. 

Your engine batteries should have no draw except when starting. Your house batteries power the fridge(s) which is why they die after a day or two without shore power. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Assuming your bilge pump is hooked up correctly (receives power no matter what the battery setting is) and you are without shorepower (to run charger) it probably is a good idea to switch batteries to off so nothing inadvertently drains your batteries.  Which is, as @YYZRC says, your fridge alone left on will drain your batteries in a couple of days.
    RECAP.....

put boat in water for the first time.

Hooked up to shore power..

everything working..no problem....

when leaving for the week...
    left boat batteries to "off" position.
    came back after week of heavy rain,3-5 inches of water in bilge .

after that...next week...Tried  new angle.....to leave  battery module set to  battery ...on..but.... to battery 'one" only..

heavy rain again...

believe me..!!!really heavy...

I believe it was 3 inches in 24 hours!..

drove up to marina..not feeling good about things...
    surprise!!!

boat was bone dry..?

What the....???

Did rain not get in ?for some reason???

Did float switches.(original) (after 20 years..) do their job?

finally???

with ,   the right battery setting?

unsure...about why the bilge was dry in all this rain...???

originally..when I found the 3 inches in the bilge...

I switched the battery setting ,to all positions...All ways...to see if the pumps would go off...

Nothing

next... I inserted the key..hit the bilge pump.... and both pumps ejected the 3 inches in about 5-10 minutes...

I am befuddled...

going up this weekend...

I had a backup plan, of installing a completely different... battery ....complete with sole bilge pump and float switch ,ready to drop in to the hull..!!!

but wife said..forget it..boat is  doing what it should..

I am confused..
    I REALLY...
    do not want to sink this boat in the freakin marina!!!

,being 3 hours away from it... in times of crappy weather is ....stressing me...losing sleep!

What would any of you do????in  this predicament????

thoughts anyone?

(no hose available at the marina to test the bilge pumps... while there...)

just electric hook up..

thanks again...

pumped out.
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    How does the marina not have water available?  That part makes no sense.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    skennelly said:
    There is a yacht club in East Boston that has no water or electricity on the docks but only charges $4.00 per foot..... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    If there’s truly no way to get water at marina to test pump, go to a place that does pump outs.  They usually have hoses.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea we did one summer at a marina with no power or water. Was only $150 a month for our 23’ center console so the price was right, but after one summer we opened up the wallet and moved marinas. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Its up north in wisconsin..lots of sailboaters ..a few cabin cruisers ..the rest pontoons..
    just electric at the docks $800.
    its a great sheltered marina.
    rare... on the bigger lakes...
    not complaining..but water would be nice...

good Idea..to check the other marinas..there are 2 I believe.
    thanks.

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    skennelly said:
    There is a yacht club in East Boston that has no water or electricity on the docks but only charges $4.00 per foot..... Just say'n
    Only $4 a foot? We have water and power and it's only $1.25 a foot. Those city folk sure have lots of money or not cause they have to spend it all. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Aqua_Aura said:
    raybo3 said:
    skennelly said:
    Only $4 a foot? We have water and power and it's only $1.25 a foot. Those city folk sure have lots of money or not cause they have to spend it all. 
    At my club its $600 per year for dues, $26 per foot, $130 per year for electricity per per hook up (I have 2) and $60 for water. Plus 35 work hours per year (I am exempt because I am an over a 20 year member). The non-member marina's around here are around $150 per foot. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Holy Matt Damon that's a lot of Sam Adams!!! That per foot is for the year I hope? Actually after adding it up and dividing per month it's about $150 a month for a 30 something foot boat? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Yes its dockage for the year. Not including winter storage, that's an whole other story...