Options

A/C trips the breaker

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
So went to run the A/C today and it showed up on the main breaker panel as a polarity fault and wouldnt run. Looked at the plug and cord and had burn marks. When i pulled it out to replace it it literally fell apart. New plug. Everything was fine. Then i started up the genny and tried to run the A/C on the genny and it would trip the breaker on the panel. So why would it only trip it if running the generator? Oh all other breakers were off. Seems if it was a weak breaker it would do it on shore power also.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    If the generator was putting out lower voltage than shorepower it would take more amps which maybe enough to trip a weak breaker.
    Post edited by Grahamu on
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Gramu, of course it could be a bad breaker or a bad capacitor but if it’s only happening on genny then it maybe low volts off genny. You can plug a multi meter right in to your outlets while running the genny  to check genny voltage. You’d need a really nice meter to be able to check hertz but that would be ideal. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Also check the voltage on shorepower as a comparison. 60 Hertz is ideal but 58 to 62 is acceptable. Hertz is controlled by the RPM of the genset which is 1800 RPM for 60 Hertz
  • Options
    I have a small multimeter on the boat. Commercial Electric Manual Ranging Digital Multi-Meter-MS8301A - The Home Depot  I think it will measure hertz so i will check that out.  I was thinking that it was going to be more about amps though.  That was why it was just curious to me that it only tripped when on the generator.  Admittedly i am a novice with once you get past the basics.  I had to google the settings to use to check hertz.  I know voltage and resistance that that is pretty much it.  I was just not sure where to start first.  I didn't want to start replacing breakers or tearing into the generator if there was a more obvious place to start.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Definitely check voltage out of gunny. My voltage regulator went on my gunny and was pumping extremely high voltage. Took out my microwave, refrigerators, TV, and a bunch of other small things. Didn't know I had a problem until the A/C breaker kept tripping.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The breaker is sensitive to amperage not Hertz. Amps equals Wattage divided Volts so It's all tied together. An A/C rated 1200 watts at 120 Volts will consume 10 amps, at 100 Volts it will be 12 amps. As you increase the RPM of the genset the Hertz and voltage will increase.
  • Options
    Guess i am following @raybo3. Voltage out of the generator is 174.5. Time for a new voltage regulator.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Whoa! Did you try it on shore power? Around 120? Good thing the breaker did it’s job.

• Options
    Yep. On Shore power it was 120. I'm glad I was able to catch it before I really needed to use the generator. I flipped the circuit breaker off at the generator just to be safe and make sure I don't fire it up by mistake. Or that someone else tries to.
  • Options
    @raybo3 when you had this happen did you replace the whole controller or is there a cheaper option?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @davidbrooks I bought a voltage regulator and replaced it. Its was pretty easy as its just a board. I was lucky as I did not have to flash the genny after. I am pretty sure I bought it on ebay and it was around $300.00 but it was about 12 years ago. BTW your lucky you caught that. Mine cause quite a bit of damage. Even my tv gain control burnt up. Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Grahamu. The Kohler gensets run at 3,600 rpm. Newer Westerbekes at 1,800. Diesels at 1,800 also. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @raybo3 cheapest i have seen so far is $400. OEM is $600. Is this what you replaced? https://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=121
  • Options
    Not surprised by the price, kohler has had stupid large price increases just in the last couple of years. Most prices doubled.

• Options
    David from what I could remember that looks like it but not positive as it was a long time ago. I am going to the boat tomorrow and will try to snap a picture for you. But I do know it was easy to change like that one shows. I don't even remember were I bought mine as I looked up on ebay and it was not in my history. 
  • Options
    @Black_Diamond, yes a multiple of 1800, I know some gensets run at 3600 RPM. My last boat had a Kohler that ran at 1800 so I assumed the newer ones did.
  • Options
    @davidbrooks This is where I bought it from. I still don't have a part number and I don't think I will make it to the boat today. You can call them for help. 
    Kohler Generator Parts | Expert Dealer | Free Shipping (colburnpower.com)
  • Options
    Got the part this week and installed on Sat. Voltage is back to a respectable 120v on the gen and my wallet is $600 lighter.
  • Options
    @davidbrooks so it was the voltage regulator? 
  • Options
    @raybo3 yup. You nailed it.