Options

340 Walk Through Window Glass Advice

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Hey folks,
Wondering if anyone here can advise on where I can locate (or if I even need to?) a walk thru replacement glass for our 2001 Rinker 340 FV? When we bought the boat last fall the previous owner broke the original and installed a piece of lexan while a replacement was on order. Given that the distance was too great between us he ordered it and sent it to us after I agreed to install it myself. Well..... forward all these months later..... shame on me for waiting so long to remove the lexan they installed, cleaning the individual frame pieces and rubber before removing the glass from the box only to find that what appears to be a simple pane ( possibly tempered but not who knows? ) house glass? I figured I'd do it in the nice weather which was my reason for waiting. I might be completely off base here and hope someone tells me different but judging by the convex shape of the bottom and top tracks in the frame and the fact that glass won't bend I wasn't confident trying and simply reinstalled the lexan.   
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My walk-thru glass is a flat pane; I think all walk-thrus are this way else it would make hinging it a pain.

Can you post a pic of the curve in the frame?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The two on the right with rubber in the tracks. There's about 3/8" distance in the centre. I suppose there is a possibility that they are both bent maybe?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get a hold of whoever he bought it from and see what you've got there. Ideally it came from Taylor, but if not there are plenty of marine glass companies out there. There has to be a packing slip or something with more details? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited June 2021
    They don't look evenly bowed to me; they look accidentally bent.  Real glass would help maintain the integrity of the frame but the lexan wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The guy we bought it from seemed like a super person so I'm not thinking anything shady but at the same time would hate to install it and have it explode on one of my passengers after hitting a heavy wave? 
  • Options
    Does the new glass have tempered markings on it?  As long as it is tempered, it's not going to harm anyone - it will just make a big mess!
  • Options
    I'll recheck it but I don't recall any markings on it or etched labels like many other pieces of glass I've seen 
  • Options
    I wouldn't install it unless you can confirm it is tempered.  But I'm virtually certain that the walk-thru glass is supposed to be flat.
  • Options
    That's great news then, thanks @YYZRC . Not exactly sure how the tracks can be straightened so advice would help too. I'll check regarding the tempered  thing too.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    My walk through glass is flat, I’m  looking at it as I type this (08’ 330). Like @YYZRC said, I’m pretty sure all Rinker walk through glass are flat. Do you have access to a large vice? It might be able to straighten it for you.
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    A local body shop should be able to finesse them back straight. At least they'd have all the proper tools.
  • Options
    I'm a risk taker; I would place the bent piece of frame bowed side up across a span and push down until it was straightish.  It's aluminum so it can't be that hard to bend back.
  • Options
    My biggest concern was whether or not the glass was a touch domed spanning the width so the rest seems doable to me. As I've stated several times in the past, a big thank you to everyone for the help. Love this forum!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I wouldn't install it unless you can confirm it is tempered.  But I'm virtually certain that the walk-thru glass is supposed to be flat.
    aero3113 said:
    My walk through glass is flat, I’m  looking at it as I type this (08’ 330). Like @YYZRC said, I’m pretty sure all Rinker walk through glass are flat. Do you have access to a large vice? It might be able to straighten it for you.
    My 2003 FV310 is too so I’d bet the left one yours would be flat.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/