Options

New 2008 Rinker 280 EC - Air Cond. issue

Hey All,

After weeks of servicing and transport delays, finally got our new (to us) 2008 Rinker 280 EC into our marina in RI, from fresh water in NH. 

Haven't taken it out yet, but was down there this evening to load on some gear and couldn't get the Air Conditioning to work. It would turn on, and clearly could feel the cold air for about 2 minutes, and then we would get a "HPF" error on the system control and it would just start blowing hot air. There was also no water coming out of the hull when the A/C was running like it normally would.

Any thoughts on this? I've read we need to close the seacock and check the strainer, which I'll do tomorrow, but I can't imagine that's the issue. We were on the boat a few weeks back and it worked perfectly, and it hasn't been used since. We also had it surveyed and they checked the strainer at the time.

Only thing that's happened since then is that it was pulled for servicing and transport, was likely out of water for ~2 weeks. I've read this can cause some issues with air getting into the lines? Or otherwise maybe a random control was turned off during servicing that I can't find? 

The only other change is that we pulled it from fresh water and dropped into salt water, but I wouldn't think that could have an impact on anything in just a few hours. 

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably need to prime the line, that’s if the pump is working. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    And an easy - and more fun - way to prime it is to take it out for a ride.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close the seacock and just clean the strainer. Not hard and you're already gonna be there trying to prime it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys have it right, prime 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    mvgvbmvgvb Member Posts: 38
    Will check the pump is working, is the actual pump below the aft berth as well, or just the strainer?

What's the best way to prime the AC while sitting in the slip? Dealing with a sick baby as well right now, so taking it out for a ride may not be in the cards.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Pump is where the seacock is under the bed, if memory serves me correctly. I have heard of people unscrewing the strainer a bit to allow it to fill with water then it will prime. I would recommend closing the seacock remove the strainer and make sure it's clean then fill the strainer cup with water, screw it back on and then open the seacock. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks! So don't need to use a hose to backwash through the entire system like I've seen some posts about?
  • Options
    You have two easy options to prime. One is to take the boat for a ride on plane, that forces enough water through for prime. Two is to pull the output hose on the pump, then turn the pump on and when it shoots water jam that hose back on. Should be enough to prime it. 

• Options
    Followed the AC hose from the seacock, looks like this is the pump? Is that bottle looking thing next to it the strainer?

when I turn the AC on I can hear the pump, and even feel a small amount of water spurt through the exit hose, but nothing comes out the side of the boat. 

Area in the picture is not easily accessible…. Do I disconnect the exhaust hose? Any easier options besides getting up on a plane?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Getting up on plane is the easiest option for me. Yes the clear cylinder bottle is your strainer. We have to clean that out once a month. Looks like the white hose should be your output hose. you should be able to pull that white hose and with the pump on the water shoots out, then jam it back on. pre filling the strainer with water will help, but it looks like yours is upside down which will prevent you from doing that. 

I have seen boats where to prime you need to pull the hose at the pump, then pull the input hose to the AC unit itself, but hopefully just the output hose on the pump will do it for you.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    aero3113 said:
    And an easy - and more fun - way to prime it is to take it out for a ride.
    Agreed, it should prime when you are out riding around, as long as the seacock is open. If that doesn't work, you can run a hose reverse (through the discharge through hull).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB , I like that idea! @mvgvb that will be easy if you can access the front side of the boat where the outlet fitting is. Just make sure the valve is open at the strainer.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I’ve got 3 discharge holes on the same area of the hull, any idea how to tell which is the AC?

And you’re saying just hold a hose from the shore water up to the discharge through hull and let water flow in reverse into the AC? 
  • Options
    2 are probably for your head and galley sinks the other should be for the ac. Most likely the furthest forward one.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful not to put it in the drain pan thru-hull otherwise you'll flood your interior. Here is the thru-hull layout for a typical 310.

I would suggest if you're going to do it that way to trace your lines from the condenser out so you know for sure which one to prime.

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    If you back flush have someone watch the strainer when it fills start the A/ C. As a suggestion next time you haulout for maintenance close the seacock to trap the prime.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    If you back flush have someone watch the strainer when it fills start the A/ C. As a suggestion next time you haulout for maintenance close the seacock to trap the prime.
    Just don't do that for winterization ... or you'll never achieve prime in the following spring (assuming he's in an area where water freezes) .... lol

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Assume it will freeze everywhere as we saw with Texas and everyone bringing their boats out this spring. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    I back flush just before launch day. Open seacock hold hose on outlet until you see water coming through the pickup. Close the seacock until its in the water ready to go. No salt water Mess in mid-bilge to clean up. 
  • Options
    Thanks all - confirmed it was air in the lines and all is working now.