Options

Marina installed a defective fuel pump, charging me twice

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
I had the marina replace the electric fuel pump in my Volvo Penta 5.7. As it turns out the fuel pump that they installed was defective and had to be replaced. This all was within a couple of weeks. I have already paid $1,400 for the first one and just got a bill for another $1,400 for a second non defective replacement. This is on them right?? 

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they supply the parts the first time? If so then yes this should definitely be on them. Worst case is you would have to pay labor but not for another pump that should be warrantied. It should all be done on them though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they supplied the part, they would get warranty coverage from the manufacturer. No cost to you. I would say they should cover the labor also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Good questions for @Alswagg and @Grahamu
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That’s exactly how I see it.  Yes they supplied and installed the pump.  When we suspected it was defective, the lead mechanic mentioned that electric parts are often not returnable but they’d try. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defective parts are returnable - unless they damaged it during install!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I cover parts and labor warranty on repairs at my shop(non marine) for 30 days.  If the part is still under manufacturer warranty past said time period the manufacturer covers the part, if manufacturer also covers labor on said part then labor is also free so long as it covers all the labor. Some of my manufactures only pay 60% of my shop labor rate so after 30 days the customer would have cover what remain of the labor bill.  

Generally, if one of my guys screws up the repair an issue is known near immediately.  

If im doing warranty work for equipment purchased at a competitor there is a 75 dollar processing fee for the repair.  Warranty work pays peanuts, i don't have a single manufacturer that pays our labor rate and we are 10 to 40 dollars less per hour than other dealers in town. 

Im not sure how marine shops function but I'd imagine the mom and pops shops are not too different.

Also screw up/botched work goes to the front of the line and is usually looked at the same business day if dropped off in time to work it in.  If we did a fuel system repair and say a coil dies a few days after picking up the customer will get the entire repair bill as that is a coincidental failure we couldn't foresee.  If my guys misdiagnosed the issue and replaced the wrong part or botched the job, we cover it.  

Always ask nicely for the service manager.  Don't get angry and yell.  **** happens and they understand that, if you're nice and civil they will also likely be nice and civil.  Hold onto your pure unbridled rage card as that should be the last card you play.

Electric parts are non returnable as in a guy trying to repair his own stuff can buy and replace parts, guessing what's wrong.

If the shop installed a defective part they can file warranty on defective part, if they damaged it in install which I'd think is hard to do then they have to cover that anyway.

• Options
    Rick, thank you for some great advice. I have been completely civil throughout this ordeal, and always respectful. I actually have a pretty good relationship with the lead mechanic. I just emailed him this morning to please remove the charge from my bill we will see what happens. 
  • Options
    I hope it works out.

Ill work with good customers. I rebuilt an ms660 about 3 months ago. The cylinder had came loose causing a lean running condition. It scorched the saw. 

He brought it and another saw in, both died the same day.  He was screaming warranty on both. One for the rebuild and another a manufacturer less than 1 yr old shindawia 591.   

Both were scorched.  Its obvious he ran bad gas or bad fuel mix or heavy handed both saws causing the failures.  Both had scoring only on exhaust side of the cylinders.

I'm covering labor on both and he's paying for parts.  
  • Options

Being they both passed the leak down test neither died from air leaks.  That means the one still under warranty will be denied by the manufacturer so I'm not bothering even trying to file one
  • Options
    Rick I wish you live near me and would be my lead mechanic
  • Options
    Lol thanks but I only do outdoor power equipment.  Id love to do marine one day. I have 20 years experience in this field, if I switched to marine id be 60 before I was as confident in marine repairs as I am with this stuff.