Options

Noisy Waterpump Question

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Not sure if anyone else has this issue but our fresh water pump (or at least I think it's our fresh water pump?) is mounted on the front engine compartment port side wall and seems a little loud whenever any of the taps are used. Sounds like a vibration of some sort but the pump seems secure enough? Lots of great water pressure? Doesn't appear to be a bad bearing but I'm no plumber either. Could this simply be its location or do these commonly die?  

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re naturally noisy! You can add a pressure tank to reduce the cycling. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea they are all loud. You could try to snug up the mounting screws but in general when the taps are on they will be rumbling!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I can’t see 100 % but not sure if you have any rubber grommets where the screws go through the pump mount. If not, add some and it can help with the noise.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep - typical. Means it’s working well!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Pressure tank (AKA accumulator tank) will help significantly.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I just replaced my original freshwater pump on Friday because it died unexpectedly, with a new parmax hd3 and the noise level is almost nonexistent compared to the original pump. Hodges marine had the best price. The old one could be heard throughout the boat but the new one can barely be heard sitting on the aft seat above the engine compartment where the pump is mounted. At 14 years old it was probably going bad for a while but even the admiral was impressed with the noise level. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    @CnC better clean your pre-filter for the pump. Looks kinda grungy. Might{?} make the pump run a bit harder.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    So I decided to go ahead and re/re the pump regardless for peace of mind and purchased a direct replacement (well physically anyhow?) or so I thought? The new pump requires a 25amp fuse and draws 15amps. The old pump 7.5amp draw and only a 10amp max fuse.  Not being a an electrical guy as I've stated a few times previously what do I need to do to get this done? Larger gauge wire? Larger breaker?
    Thanks Cliff
  • Options
    60psi seems like a lot. I think most are 30-40. Maybe you should swap for a size smaller?
  • Options
    Oh crap, maybe I should then? I was gauging it on the number of taps it would need to service and was trying to stay close to what is on it. This one has probably replaced the original one then?
  • Options
    Anything I should be aware of before I switch out the system to this one? It's Max's out at 40psi and will service up to 4 taps (which our 340 has) and looks to be the entire system. Seems to have good reviews although not much info regarding installation. It has a valve stem on the tank but doesn't say anything about pressurizing the system?? Also one final question. I think I may have been filling my freshwater tank incorrectly. I've simply been sticking the hose in the tank with a little shock treatment but I noticed that another thread here showed a picture of a hose attachment on the port side at the transom? Does that lead to the fresh water tank? If so, should I be filling it from there until the water comes out the spout on the starboard side??
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    That’s a nice kit. I would do that!

The nipple at the top is to adjust the pressure in the bladder. If you search, there’s a thread by @LaRea on how to do this. 

The garden hose inlet is for “city water” - it bypasses your freshwater holding tank and provides water without using the pump (since the city water is pressurized). It also regulates the incoming water pressure. You should use this when docked but be sure to disconnect when you leave your boat (else you could have a water line break and sink the boat). 
  • Options
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    @CnC that's almost exactly like what I built for my boat.  All I can add is:  mount it as low as possible.  That way, the pump will prime even if the tank isn't full.  

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Aw no way. I think I mounted mine upside down?? Or does that even matter? It's working? I just kinda followed the path of the last one
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    It shouldn't matter.  
  • Options
    That's a relief. Thanks @LaRea