Options

Hot water heater check valve

Is there supposed to be a check valve in the water supply line to the heater, or is it internal to the water heater itself? Our cold taps quickly turn very hot within a couple of seconds after opening before cooling off. I put my hand on the supply, had wife turn on water, and could feel it quickly heat. It cooled off after the pump kicked on. Started search thinking I’d have to replace valve, but I don’t see one at all.

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    This is normal. The water sitting still in the lines get hot from the heat of the boat due to outside temps and the sun hitting the boat. Do you leave your hot water heater on all the time? I only turn mine on when I know I am going to need hot water. I do not leave it on when I leave the boat.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I turn it off when we leave, but on otherwise. Hadn’t thought about radiant heating, but water is VERY hot. Enough that I need to warn guests about it. Figured it had to be heater. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +++ to Raybo’s comment. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks! One thing off my list of chores.
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Does the water get hot after running you motors and not when you don’t?  your hot water heater is probably connected to the engine cooling?  My rinker was so when you run the motors hot water from the motors circulates in a heat exchanger around the tank and heats it. 
    Check for two hoses connected that run from motors or two hose connections on the tank with no hoses connected.  This should tell you. 
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    It’s an issue with water whether or not engines were on.
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    The water in the hoses will get warm.  I would think once you run some thru it would cool back down some.  Maybe your Hw tank power is on always.  Bad breaker or someone wired past it.
    check water temp then turn on your water heater and check in an hour.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold