Options

looking for a used boat

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
Dock neighbor looking to upgrade from his current owner open bow to a cabin cruiser. He found a 1992 Chaparral 2370 sls but the trailer looks pretty crappy and not sure of the condition yet but they want $12,500. seems pretty high. He doesn't want to pay for a survey for that cheap of a boat. He wants me to go with him to look at it this week. It has an Alpha. I know prices are up a little right now but does that seem high? Looks like all the upholstery has been re-done recently. Near Pittsburgh area

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Might be a little high. Check this out...... 
    Used boats for sale - YachtWorld
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Looks to be much more along the lines of a $12,000 boat. Think he wants to stay local cause he said he has to pay someone to tow it to the marina so thinking he doesn't own a truck. He currently has about a 16' open bow but no idea who tows it for him. I'd be ok towing locally for him but IL is a little too far for me to go...lol. I looked on yacht world and boat trader. not much around here
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices are stupid tight now for used vehicles, boats and RV's- I would like to replace a car of mine but I cant pay the prices...and I'm in the business. If he waits I bet the bottom will fall out of that price.
  • Options
    Just on the surface I'd say it's maybe an $8000 boat but he still wants to go see it tomorrow. He said he was going to offer $10k if he didn't see any red flags.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll tow it back for him. It would give me an excuse to make a trip to Pittsburgh.  :)
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    lol. Might be worth the trip Greg. The guy texted me earlier and said the guy rescheduled for Thursday. Boat is in Tarentum. It's a 1992 Chaparral 2370 SL. Doubt you are familiar with it but just in case...lol. I guess it is on the trailer at the sellers house near a ramp but no idea what marina he may have kept it at. I offered to tow it back for him if he buys it but might regret that. Trailer looks pretty shabby and the turnpike would be the easiest route back. I'd be inclined to stay below about 50MPH with the trailer looking that bad...lol. But who knows
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    The used boat market is very hot right now.  I have been looking for a Rinker Captiva 192 for about 6 months now.  I found one in Penn Hills (near Pittsburgh) on craglist awhile back and contacted the owner.  He said it was still in storage and would call me when available.  A month later I see the same boat on BoatTrader listed for $9000 more than the Craigslist ad.  I guess I will wait till next year. 
  • Options
    yikes. yeah a co-worker lives in Penn Hills. We keep our boat in Bridgewater on the Beaver River 1/4 mile off the Ohio. We are about 26 miles from the point by way of the Ohio