Options

Kohler 5ECD generator throwing LOC error

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
My genny recently started throwing LOC (loss of coolant) faults.  It starts fine, runs 15 seconds, then stops.  The water flow from the exhaust is normal, so I tried disconnecting the seawater pressure sensor, and it ran fine for 2 hours under normal load.  What else could be causing the LOC error?  Faulty sensor?  

I've been running it every week with no problems.  The coolant and anode were replaced this year.  The impeller is 3 years old, but again, it's pushing plenty of water. 

[EDIT:  It appears that replacing the raw water pressure sensor fixed this problem.] 
Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s a chance you can have air in the system. Did you pull coolant out from the fitting on top of the tank?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I did vent the top fitting when I changed the coolant.  But as I understand it, LOC is not the coolant side.  It's the seawater side -- usually a clogged strainer or failed impeller.  
  • Options
    You’re right!
    Replace the sensor if it ran fine disconnected.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Wow, I can't get over the 3 years on impeller comment!  you must like taking chances! :smile:

I'd change impeller first, just because.  Then change the sensor.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Wow, I can't get over the 3 years on impeller comment!  you must like taking chances! :smile:

Agree, but he said it ran fine once the sensor was disconnected.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Dream_Inn said:

Agree, but he said it ran fine once the sensor was disconnected.
    Chris knows I'm picking on him!  The genny impeller is the one thing I change yearly whether it needs it or not (cause the genny impeller would cause problems while I'm anchored having fun).

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My impeller is 4 years old and I am sure the last owner never touched it so who knows how old it is. I do have a spare on board but so far it runs cool and throws plenty of water out the exhaust. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Haha -- @Dream_Inn my memory says I changed it last spring, but there's no entry in my maintenance spreadsheet, so I have to assume it never happened.  I'll change it this weekend. 
  • Options
    MbmikeMbmike Member Posts: 18
    When the generator is running how much water to exit ?  Mine seems to just spurt while running not a constant water flow is this normal ?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is not constant it is a splash of water every second. Kind like someone has a cup of water and dumps it so you have a constant splash of water. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I replaced the impeller.  The old one was intact, but starting to show signs of cracking on some of the vanes.  Also cleaned the strainer, but it just had a little bit of slime and mud.  

@Mbmike here's the water output:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0SPF4iWwVs
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea that’s 5E typical, kinda like vomiting when your drunk 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaRea said:
    I replaced the impeller.  The old one was intact, but starting to show signs of cracking on some of the vanes.  Also cleaned the strainer, but it just had a little bit of slime and mud.  

@Mbmike here's the water output:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0SPF4iWwVs

So....changing the impeller fixed it?  I do know even when it's spitting water it can still need changed.  Pau Hana had LOC at Rinkervous this weekend.  I got on him big time about not changing the impeller at the beginning of the year.  He has an admiral that has to have a working generator.  I always change mine at beginning of the year just so I'm not changing while at something like Rinkervous. :D

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pau Hana's boat hasn't sold yet?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Pau Hana's boat hasn't sold yet?!

Nope, not yet.  I certainly haven't pushed it for him.  Too nice of a boat & too good of a boating friend. :)

• Options
    I'm really surprised!  It looks like a beautiful boat.  If boat shipping wasn't impossible right now (8+ weeks to get a boat from NY to Ontario) I really really would consider it.
  • Options
    I'm gonna say yes, changing the impeller fixed it.  I reconnected the sensor and ran the genny a couple times yesterday with no issues.  

I really didn't notice any difference in the water output before and after. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I'm gonna say yes, changing the impeller fixed it.  I reconnected the sensor and ran the genny a couple times yesterday with no issues.  

I really didn't notice any difference in the water output before and after. 
    Does not surprise me one bit.  Seriously, a weak impeller is noticeable to the sensor.  It is also why I change my engine impellers every two years whether it needs it or not. Just slight cracked vanes can cause less pressure.

YYZRC said:
    I'm really surprised!  It looks like a beautiful boat.  If boat shipping wasn't impossible right now (8+ weeks to get a boat from NY to Ontario) I really really would consider it.
    I am shocked as well.  It really is a perfect boat and well taken care of (just had new exhaust manifolds installed as well).  Even the generator ran all night each night at Rinkervous.  Maybe it hasn't sold because it hasn't been in its slip any weekends for anyone to look at it. :)

• Options
    I got a LOC last weekend, new impeller a month ago.  Unit didn't shut down, it wouldn't start the next time and when I opened the sound cover it had the LOC code.  I reset the rocker switch and all good.
  • Options
    Update:  changing the impeller did not fix the problem.  I was still getting intermittent LOC faults.  Today I replaced the raw water pressure sensor.  So far, it's working, but I'll reserve judgment until I use it for a couple weeks.  

On my Kohler 5ECD, the part was $37 on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTSTVW2
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Piling on to generator thread… gen worked last weekend, but noticed strainer needed cleaning. Did that today, but forgot to reopen seacock before starting . Noticed lack of water, but thought it was trying to pick up prime. Gen shut down w/ seawater pump pressure fault. Opened seacock and tried again. Same thing. Impeller melted, you think?
  • Options
    I did the same thing this morning after replacing the sensor.  It ran for 15-20 seconds, then shut down.  If yours did the same, the impeller should be fine.  

If you disconnect the sensor, will the genny start and pump water normally?  
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It’s definitely not moving water. Just took boat out to reprime AC. Does the same trick work for gen?
  • Options
    I'd open that impeller and have a look.  Have you done it before?  It's easy.  Remove the right side cover from the sound box, then remove 4 bolts and you can inspect the impeller.  
  • Options
    Never done it. Took the side cover off, then made the mistake of trying to remove top. YouTube made it look easy. Just three screws! 

Will take a peak later today. Is it a common part I can get at West Marine?
  • Options
    The impeller is a Sherwood 08000K.  Looks like West Marine Solomons carries them.  Get a couple spares.  
  • Options
    If you replace the impeller, lubricate the new one with soap water before installing.  It really is one of the easier regular maintenance jobs.  

My sound cover bolts were all badly corroded, so I replaced them this year.  Now it's much easier to work on the genny.  
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    ours has been fully serviced this season and running good.. after service i had the same code..my coolant bottle seemed to full..i removed coolant to about 1/4 full and has ran great ever since
    yep probably just jinxed myself 
  • Options
    Ugh. Nothing on the right side but plastic. I think this is it. Only two screws, though. On bottom right of gen, cover facing in.