Bravo 2 lower unit install

BachelordudeBachelordude Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
Well some idiot stole the lower unit off my Bravo 2 at the marina storage lot a month ago. I bought a good used lower and want to get it installed. Cant seem to find any videos on youtube or anywhere. All the marinas in my area are booked for the summer so im gonna have to do it myself. I am pretty sure I can do it but my question is should the drive be in forward gear before putting the lower unit in place? I thought I saw somewhere that it should be but im sure it wasnt in forward gear when it was stolen and if that even makes a difference. Also, ive seen a couple pics of lowers that show some sort of coupler on the spline of the shaft at the top of the lower unit. The one I bought doesnt have one and all the parts drawings ive seen doesnt show one either. Any tips that may be offered would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You!!

Answers

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    you should get a insurance claim 
  • BachelordudeBachelordude Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I did file a claim and Allstate paid for a new one since I only had 5 hours on it, less the 1000 deductible. Could not find a new one in stock anywhere. Mercruiser said they were on back order and would be 3 months before it would ship. So I found a good used one and banked the extra 4K for now. All the marinas here are booked through the summer so if I want to get any time on it Im gonna have to put it in myself. Pretty sure I got all the O rings just wasnt sure about the coupler. I will have to look in the upper and see if its maybe in there. I also really need to know if I am supposed to have it in neutral or forward gear when I put it up in there. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @Bachelordude , I think forward gear was only to remove and install Alpha units. I don’t think it matters either way since it’s only the lower unit being installed.
    Hopefully some other members will agree with me.
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I've never removed the foot of my bravo but have removed the entire leg many times.  I have always done so in neutral, making sure to open the alligator clamp if it is tight so the cable slides right out.

Sliding back in is the same, make sure alligator clamp is open so the cable slides into place.

Removing the drive and turning it upside down is the easiest way for me to install a foot solo. I've done it on the boat with alphas but my lower back does not appreciate it at all.

Pressue test will let you know if you forgot any sealing o rings.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral is good but the foot does not care the shifting happens in the upper part. I would think the coupler came out with the lower unit. It just sit on the shaft no set screws or snap rings.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • BachelordudeBachelordude Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    It never seems to fail. I bought what I thought was a good lower unit off ebay. Seller JSMarine said this lower would fit my Bravo upper. Well it fit but it didnt have the oil passage that the seal$ 45577 goes into so its not the correct lower. I wasnt aware that mine even had the oil passage. He said it would work. It doesnt. When I did a vacuum test air blows out the raw water intake on the lower. The seller told me I didnt put the seal in so I removed the lower and it doesnt even have the poil passage on it. He wont refund my $2300.00. What an as...hole. I guess I have to try and sell this one but I dont even know what year it matches up to. Does anybody know about this?? I really appreciate any help once again. This Mercruiser rebuild has been a total nightmare. First, water in the oil on the rebuilt 5.7 and now this. I just want to get some time on the water instead of time on the trailer. Oh yea, bought a new 2020 Venture aluminum trailer too. Looks good on the trasiler but would look better on the water. HELPPP PLEASE
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Ebay offers a money back guarantee  even if the seller doesn't.

You file a claim  and you'll lose shipping  costs to send it back to him but its much less than the 2k and change you're out of.

Just tell ebay it doesn't fit. The ebay customer service won't care about oil feeds or pressure tests  

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    If you had used the serial number for the drive the parts lookup would have given you the part number for the lower unit.