Bottom paint for upper Potomac River

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody have recommendations for a bottom paint to use in the upper Potomac River?  

We have had terrible problems with bottom fouling last year and this year -- much worse than ever before.  The photo shows my brand-new bottom paint after just four months in the water.  The rough, dark green stuff on the right is some kind of hairy moss.  The shiny part on the lower left is where I stripped off the moss with a power washer.  This fouling is a HUGE performance killer.  Instead of 40+ mph at wide-open throttle, I could barely get 27 mph.  

This boat is no slip queen ... she gets exercise almost every weekend.  I store the boat ashore every winter, and repaint every 2-3 years.  Bottom fouling has never been a problem until last year, and it wasn't only my boat.  Everybody in our marina had to haul and power-wash by early August because the fouling was so bad.

For what it's worth, the paint in the photo is Sea Hawk Monterrey, which is an ablative paint.  Clearly, it's not working in my marina. 

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right about an effective bottom paint blend being a very localized thing dependent upon many variables. The proof of what will work in your area is found in your own marina by observing the actual performance of products successfully used on other boats around YOUR town or on the hard in the local boat yard. Talk to local dockmasters, divers and repair yards. Hey it's a great way to spend a day doing "research" and messing around in boat yards.

Obviously what you have on it now is not working in that enviroment, even if it used to, or even if it works like magic in another state. Formulas are also changing in some old reliable products to comply with environmental pressure so beware the hype of a mfg saying that a particular product has been the gold standard and will always be.

I was just up in Alexandria a few weeks ago and another fellow RBOC member took me on a tour of the Potomac between the Lincoln mem and Ntl Harbor. You guys are in an awesome spot and now I owe them a run in the tropics with us. Good luck in your "research" around the local yards. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I used an ablative from West Marine this year and it's holding up well on the Potomac. I pulled her out a few weeks ago to replace a trim tab actuator and pressure washed it since it was out. Everything seemed to be holding up well. Will need touch ups here and there, but I didn't see anything like in your picture. I'm slipped at Quantico, not sure if location has anything to do with it...
    Y Knot?
  • john744john744 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

I had a TERRIBLE issue with bottom growth last up here on Cape Cod - Waquoit Bay to be exact.  This year I tried Blue Water Copper Pro SX.  This paint supposedly has the highest level of cuprous oxide available - 67%.  So Far this season, I couldn't be happier.  It's pricey, but it seems to work.  Link included for your convenience.  Good Luck

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=55756&familyName=Blue+Water+Marine+Copper+Pro+SCX++67+Boosted

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    I use Interlux Micron ablative in your neck of the woods and have been happy with it. I try to run it fast once a week to keep the stuff off and maybe twice a season i'll kind of go over it with something towel soft. 

slime does accumulate, but it doesn't look anything like what you have there...
  • brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I've been using interlux micron extra in the mid Chesapeake for the past 2 seasons with good results
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Had Petit Vivid put on our 246 this year, and it's been great so far. No real loss of top-end speed like we've had the last to seasons with no paint. I'll be interested to see how it cleans up when she comes out, but that can wait a couple months. We're in the less-than-pristine Illinois River.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closing out this old discussion:  For me, the answer was Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux.  (Your mileage may vary; as discussed, bottom paint is highly location-dependent.)

I talked to 15-20 owners in my marina.  Most were having similar problems with severe bottom fouling.  The only boats not reporting problems were the ones using Micron Extra, so I tried it.  

After three months in the water, I can now report that it worked!  Last year, by July 4th, my hull had so much moss that I could barely get on plane.  I had to haul and aggressively power-wash the hull, and do it again later that season.  This year, with Micron Extra, the hull is perfectly smooth.

The moral of the story: If your bottom paint isn't performing, research is your friend.  Talk to other boaters in your local area.  And if you're in the fresh-water part of the Potomac, consider switching to Micron Extra.
    Final answer: Micron Extra worked for me. After 7.5 months in the water, the hull had only a light coat of slime that came off easily with a power washer. There were two small (3") patches of moss that also came off easily.  

On my final cruise of the season after 7.5 months in the water, my top speed was the same as on launch day -- 42 mph.  Also, the boat did not require a mid-season short haul to power-wash the hull.  Win!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applied interprotect barrier and micron csc undercoat. It works like a charm. Nothing to clean in the fall. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may get a 3rd season out of my paint. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I trailer mine and it's as clean and smooth as a baby's butt! I'm so fortunate to be here in Fl as I don't think I could deal with all the paint, winterizing etc. you others go through, could not afford it for sure. With your short season, I admire all of yours dedication to boating!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
     Shut up Ras. Its too short up here. :)
    The 2-year report on Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux:  it still looks new and there is essentially zero fouling.  I'll definitely get another couple years on this paint job.