Kohler 5e

BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
Change oil & filter, fuel filter, anti-freeze, impeller, spark plug, and anode. It will run for 5 minutes and cut off. When running it sounds like it is going to cut off. it sounds normal then go to low pitch sound then back up to normal sounds. Keeps doing this until it finally cuts off. Any suggestions. 
Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure

Answers

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which filter did you change?  The one at the fuel pump itself?  Did you change BOTH spark plugs?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    You sure you don't have an airlock in the antifreeze?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s a bleed port at the top of the reservoir. Any air in the system can cause issues.
    2008 330EC
    It is super easy to get trapped air in the coolant system. Even removing the vent plug on the heat exchanger will not always clear the air.  

I used a brass barbed fitting to screw into the vent plug, filled the coolant overflow bottle, system filled and pressure cap on. Then used one of those orange hand oil pumps to pull a vacuum causing the  amtifreeze to back flow from the reservoir and bled the air out that way. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BoatBiminiLightBoatBiminiLight Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2021
    I have a Kohler 5e also.   It runs strong and evens runs the A/C.
    Only issue I've ever had with it is that it has a carb (not injection) and it can get gummed up after winter storage.   I think this is why they say you have to run the gen weekly during the season to keep it running well.
    This year, after storage, it didnt run that smooth and didnt handle a big load.   I put 5 cans of SeaFoam in my boat's tank, and let it run the Kohler on idle.  After 30 minutes, it got cleaned out and handled any load I put on it.
    I dont know if this is your issue since you did other things to yours.  If not, I hope this info helps someone else.

I ~always~ used gas stabilizer at every refuel.  I like the PRI-G personally.  End of season always ran the genny out of gas too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI