Options

Snap tool

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have a snap tool recommendation? I am finding several different styles and a variety of prices. 

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are doing more than 10 snaps, the proper tool is the only way to go. The modified vise grip versions I tried suck. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Right now I just have a couple of snaps that pulled through the canvas so it's not a big job. But you're right. The proper tool can make a huge difference. I will probably replace the mooring cover next year and I just want to get it through the rest of this season. The canvas shops around here are booked solid.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I bought this to install about 40 carpet snaps.  Worked perfectly.  I wish it had a case, because it has two removable heads and I'm sure I'll lose one, but it was only $40.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L8GLPTX
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    If you are doing more than 10 snaps, the proper tool is the only way to go. The modified vise grip versions I tried suck. 

I have used this one before and it works really well. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wanting to replace my tops and probably will once Ameritex starts taking orders again. Not looking forward to the expense, but it is going to need done. I will be getting the sailrite one when the time comes. My connection that has that one is 8 hours east of me now. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I was looking at Sailrite's web site and they have everything you need for canvas and upholstery work including "how to" videos. Kept having these crazy thought's about buying some equipment and making it a DIY project using my old canvas as a pattern. Is the heat getting to me or does this appeal to anyone else?
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I used the vicegrip style on a new carpet kit i ordered for my 330 and was disappointed in the end result.  Uneven compression on the heads.  Get the good one if you cant take it in to someone.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Yes I do have one that is the vice grip style that is on a boat currently from China headed to Amazon. Unfortunately I have none on hand to give out just yet. 

I personally use the sailrite tool which is very nice. The vice grip style that I sell is sufficient for occasional work or stuff you can work on over a bench or floor as they don't hold the snaps vs the sailrite which does. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988