Options

Kohler 5e no spark or fuel

NoShoes1NoShoes1 Member Posts: 13
I believe I was tripping on LOP so topped it up, then it ran great for 5 min, now same issue again. 
Will sensor shut down if too much oil?  Dip stick seems basic at best. Any suggestions welcomed?

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Sounds more like an overheat problem.
  • Options
    But she is cool now and won’t start. When it does it runs great. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I was told you want to read the oil level without the dipstick screwed in. Just stick it in and pull it out to read the correct level. It makes a difference.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking the oil: do not screw in the dipstick. 

Will it run with no load on it?  Or does it not matter?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sensor can be faulty also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yup. There is an exhaust temp sensor.  Is it flowing water out the exhaust when running?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    It definitely had too much oil, it was hydro locking. Have drained out about a 1/4 litre and dip stick still showing high. When it was running it ran in either load or no load. Purred like a kitten. Does taking the wire off the loc sensor bypass the sensor if it was faulty?  Thanks guys. 
  • Options
    I have drained and out in new oil and filter. Still no start up. To bypass LOP sensor do I just take off wire or run wire to a ground to complete circuit?  Also can anyone comment on recommended oil level in dipstick?
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe on the Kohler you need to measure the oil level without threading the dipstick in. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Checking the oil: do not screw in the dipstick. 

Will it run with no load on it?  Or does it not matter?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Be worth checking the screw in fuses behind the breaker panel on the genny too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks Black Diamond. I don’t see any screw in fuses behind the panel. There are the 3 ceramic fuses that all have continuity, also verified that LOC and fuel pump have continuity. What is frustrating is it has run 3 times in last 48 hours, but the other 200 tries is no success. 
  • Options
    Next item: anti diesel valve. It is mounted to the carb and has a one wire connection, will be facing you as you view the carb. Unscrew and clean, reinstall.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the lop switch is the same as the air cooled kohler then just unplug.

You can also use a multi meter and check to see if lop is grounded.  They generally don't fail unless oil is allowed to get really nasty and sit for a long time in my experience.  Fresh oil plus a little marvel mystery oil or seafoam can usually clean them in a good hour of run time, then change oil again