Options

Hot Water Heater

jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
Hi All,

I have asked this question recently and truly appreciate all the input.  Today I received 3 more suggestions that I will look at over the weekend. Needless to say the problem still exists and occurred again tonight after motoring.  I am posting my question again to see if anyone has additional suggestions.

I am having problems with the water heater on my 2006 Rinker 250 Express Cruiser.  As I understand it the water heater (attwood I believe) should heat water from both the engine heat when running as well as from an electric heating element when plugged into shore power (and the panel switch for water heater is on).  Up until now this has been working flawlessly providing hot water (for showering, etc.) after swimming when abroad and again when back at the dock plugged into to shore power.  As a matter of fact, the hot water from the engine heating can get scolding hot.

Problem - Currently I am receiving no hot water from the engine (when running) even after extended hours of motoring...
(the hot water works fine when back at the dock and plugged into the shore however)

I am experiencing no engine problems, no warning beeps, galley pump is on and functioning/pressurized, all gauges are normal, especially engine temp (175).

How is this possible?
I thought the cooling system was a closed system (sea water cooled) and has to run through the hot water tank?  Are there additional pumps?
Any thoughts on how to fix?

This seems to boggle everyone although one person says it happens on there Rinker.

Thank you again.

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Yes that is odd as the hot water tank should have hot water available after you run your engine.  I guess I would start with checking the hoses that lead to the tank.  Are they hot all the way to the tank and back?  If not, then is something pinching them or placed on top of them?  Or maybe there is something plugged in the hose line? Also Check the thermostat on the engine.  It might be stuck closed.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Try taking the hoses off the water heater and use a garden hose to see if the exchanger is clogged. If that checks good, try starting the engine and see if you have water flow..... Just make sure you shut engine off fast.............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com