360 FV custom mattress topper

echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
edited July 2021 in Rinker Custom Projects
Ordered a 3” thick Queen mattress topper for our forward berth Picassoesque mattress. It required using the trimmings to build out the top using hot glue to add length (87” at its longest, which is 7” longer than typical Queen). It worked fine, although the back of my SUV that transported it back to the boat looks like a smurf exploded. 
Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭

Dan of Steel
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea using hot glue to attach the extension.  I'll try it on mine.
  • julie4julie4 Member Posts: 10
    Does adding a mattress topper really help? I don't use a mattress topper. Once I used AirExpect Camping Sleeping Pad from a random website which was comfortable. Please guide me if the topper is more helpful than padding
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For us a gel mattress topper was night and day improvement on the 342. We spend 50 nights a year afloat and it really improved our comfort. The new owners asked us where we got it so that they could buy one for home. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I agree with Liberty.  A mattress topper makes a huge difference.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    For us a gel mattress topper was night and day improvement on the 342. We spend 50 nights a year afloat and it really improved our comfort. The new owners asked us where we got it so that they could buy one for home. 
    Any specific recommendations? I've been thinking about adding something, but there are a lot of options and my head was spinning after looking at page after page of products. What was the particular brand and/or thickness you finally picked?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    We just bought a 2 inch topper that was on sale at kohls.  8 years later, and easily 70-80 nights a summer on it. We are still happy.  Definitely nowhere near as good as our sleep number at home, but still a huge difference.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    TonyG13 
    Any specific recommendations? I've been thinking about adding something, but there are a lot of options and my head was spinning after looking at page after page of products. What was the particular brand and/or thickness you finally picked?
    We got ours on Amazon if I recall. It was just a 3” memory foam topper. It came in an impossibility small package that once cut open, it sprung into shape. 
    Dan of Steel
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 
    We got ours on Amazon if I recall. It was just a 3” memory foam topper. It came in an impossibility small package that once cut open, it sprung into shape. 
    Unfortunately I couldn’t help the PO or here. A friend of mine buys a ton of stuff on this warehouse site that re sells open box, damaged packaging crap. He got it for me for $20.00. It was a 3” or 4” gel memory foam. Kohls and Walmart both had at the time it for over $300 but I didn’t write down what it was. Sorry. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• ItzkenItzken Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Two things that make cutting and gluing foam much easier are an electric turkey knife and 3M Foam & Fabric spray adhesive.  
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Got ours from Walmart Canada, Queen Size $144 Cdn, For the rear bed on our 342. Had to round the 2 rear corners.