Options

Its always the engine that controls the Power Steering

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
Well my problem child overheated on me this weekend.  At first i didn't think anything of it as the temps never got above 160.  Just had a beep every few minutes.  Figured it was just a bad sensor.  Then the engine stalled.  I limped in on my port engine and was lucky i didn't have to go far.  When i got in i put the Rhinda on the engine and it showed the temps at the time of the stall was 194.  So now i am wondering why it didn't show up on my display.  If you remember i put in the mercruiser CAN Gateway to NMEA so i am getting digital readings on my Garmin....it should of been right there in front of me.  So i pulled the sea water pump as i was planning on replacing the impellers anyway.  They still looked perfect.  Now i am wondering if it is either a bad thermostat or bad water pump (antifreeze).  I ordered new thermostats.  That is easy. Water pump spins pretty freely by hand.  Any easy ways to check if it is circulating antifreeze before i pull it off?  It looks like there are rebuild kits but i cant verify that they are for my specific one.  Of course a mercruiser water pump is $160 and an exact replica of it at AutoZone is $50.  
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also have dirty heat exchangers. Can you pull the cap and look for antifreeze flow??
  • Options
    @Handymans342 I was thinking of that.  I just wasn't sure if it would show up or not.  It has to get up to temp first right?  I can visually inspect it but obviously not tell if there is corrosion inside.  Just peaking in the top by taking off the radiator cap it looks fine.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could remove the end caps on the heat exchanger (raw water side) and look at the tubes. They make a brush for those tubes 
  • Options
    When i get back i am going to remove a few hoses on the sea water and back flush the PS cooler and the heat exchanger also.  Now is a good time to do it with the water pump off.
  • Options
    So just as a follow up to this.  No you cannot see the coolant flowing to test if the pump is working.  I guess the only way to actually prove it is working is to run it.  I did.  At the dock it never got above 161 degrees and while out running under load never got above 163 degrees.  These are 160 degree thermostats so that makes sense.  I replaced the raw water impellers, temp senders and thermostats on both engines just for maintenance.  Also pulled some hoses to check for obstructions.  When i went to start the engine that went out on me for what i thought was an overheat issue it wouldn't start.  Little bit of panic set in.  Gotta admit.  I had put the Rhinda on the ECM and did see an overheat alert at 193 degrees but that wasn't enough to get me really worried.  I also saw one for low fuel which was curious.  I had never seen that before and the tank fuel senders aren't connected to the engines.  So the thought crossed my mind. I wonder if i pulled a @Dream_Inn and ran that tank dry?  Opened up the cross over valve and after a minute it started.  So when i put in the NMEA connections to the fuel senders i didn't fully calibrate them as i thought i did.  They were still showing both tanks at 60%.  BIG lesson learned here.  So went and got gas and put in 223 gallons. Yup.  $807.   To say i was running on fumes was an understatement.  I never like having the tanks get below 1/4 full much less this.   
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Wow, 223 gallons ... you'll never do that again!  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
     So the thought crossed my mind. I wonder if i pulled a @Dream_Inn and ran that tank dry?  Opened up the cross over valve and after a minute it started.  So when i put in the NMEA connections to the fuel senders i didn't fully calibrate them as i thought i did.  They were still showing both tanks at 60%.  BIG lesson learned here.  So went and got gas and put in 223 gallons. Yup.  $807.   To say i was running on fumes was an understatement.  I never like having the tanks get below 1/4 full much less this.   
    Really? Pulled a Dream 'Inn?🤗 Really didn't think I'd be famous for that!  Glad you made it in ok.  FYI, I have full tanks as of a couple hours ago.  I put in 241 gallons!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express