Options

2106 310 No Shore Power

mattnmattn Member Posts: 10
Good morning!

So I'm having a problem with my 2016 310. I have no volts on my shore power. I'm 100% sure the problem is on the boat. This model has dual 30-amp connections for "shore power" and air conditioning. The AC has volts, works fine. If I switch the cords on the boat, the AC still has volts, the shore power still does not. This rules out a bad cable or the breaker at the pedestal, even without getting out the multimeter.

My gut says there is a double-secret circuit breaker I have not yet needed to find ... This is my first season with the boat. I've flipped everything I can think of on the power panel in the cabin, and checked the power distribution block in the engine compartment. Nothing jumped out at me.

The boat was tied up at the dock, and I was here when it happened. So I doubt something, like, jiggled loose. It was bucketing rain at the time, which again makes me think of a GFI?

It's very difficult to get anybody to come and do any work on the boat right now, and I hate to try when I'm probably just missing something stupid.

Thoughts? Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you have shorepower ports on both sides (“it’s shore choice”). Which side is not working? Port or Starboard?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I had a weird issue similar where I’d lose main also at times. I found that behind the panel where it comes in is a connector that went bad - it fed the incoming into the distribution. After a few attempt to make good I replaced with 30A plug/socket with twist lock - no more issue (had the same with water heater too). Mines a 2003 310 so maybe different but I think you are at the point of checking the lines coming in to the board behind it.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    I assume you have shorepower ports on both sides (“it’s shore choice”). Which side is not working? Port or Starboard?
    Ah, sorry, should have mentioned that. I only have power on one side.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited July 2021
    I'm not familiar with your boat's layout, but what's the distance between the shore power receptacles and the main breaker panel? 

If it's farther than 10 feet (cable length), there will be a pair of cutoff switches between the receptacles and the panel.  They would typically be mounted in the cockpit with a waterproof cover, like an outlet cover.  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    The super secret panel is under the rear seat (where your table is stored). Open the seat and look to your right (port side of boat) and you will see a small panel. Open it and you will see the breakers for the shore power.

I'll be at the boat this afternoon and take a photo.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Found a pic of the seat, not open. Sorry. But the panel is under this seat. Open and it'll be on the lower right...

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    If his 2016 is like my 2014 version of the 310 - it only has shore power on the port side.
  • Options
    Here are some pics of what to look for under the seat...

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also these receptacles often have wires that work loose, particularly the grounds. My 2013 EC310 arrived from the factory with the Starboard shore power receptacle showing reverse polarity - it was wired incorrectly. While looking at both receptacles after finding that I noticed the wiring on both receptacles had loose connections. Fixed that and never another problem. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @Michael T I am really surprised you're still a Rinker fan after all the issues you had with your brand new 310 and then 360!  So many things that I would deem inexcusable.  The windshield screws especially, but wow.  You are a patient man!
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @YYZRC good question. Time for a new thread...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    TonyG13 said:
    Here are some pics of what to look for under the seat...

AHA! I knew this had to be the case. I'm not at the boat right now, but I'll head over after work, and I'm sure I'll find them exactly here.
    I'll check back in when I confirm, but thank you thank you!
    This will save me a ton of headache.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s great news!! 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!