Why Rinker???

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
So the question came up "why are you still a fan of Rinker".......... So hear is the question, why does everyone love their Rinkers?? Here are my reasons in no particular order, Cost: Rinker cost was so much cheaper than SR or Chapparel and so on. More bang for your buck. Looks: IMO Rinker is one of the nicest looking boats floating. Hull design: The hull takes on the water very good and smooth. doesn't really pound. Hull strength: The hull's are real strong as we all know. Now not to rag on other boats but my club has a rash of SR 320's. OMG are they ugly and been on them many  times. They rattle like no tomorrow, they porpoise when up to speed and they pound the crap out of you. However SR does a great job with the ascetics. The cabins are nice and seat cushions are nice. Overall I cant stand SR unless your talking 44 or bigger. What are your thoughts and thanks to @YYZRC for giving me the idea of this thread........  
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I have owned three Rinkers. A new 270 a 2005 320 and now a 2005 410. Love them all. I once met someone that had nothing good to say about Rinker. When I asked him what he has . He said “oh I don’t own a boat”. I won’t post what my reply was but he got the message. Great boats just a shame that they had to close down. 
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I did a lot of research while looking for a boat and I found myself always coming back to the Rinkers. The brand offered a great mix of quality and features while not breaking the bank. "Bang for the buck" as Raybo said.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    For me it was/is all price and availability. I couldn’t find (or maybe afford) a similar size and era of Cruisers which would have been my preference. I don’t find Rinkers to be particularly good looking (just average) but since most features were standard equipment on Rinkers at least the used boats are well equipped (albeit usually underpowered). I also haven’t owned anything else except the FW 268 Vista so not much to compare. 

I’m very happy with my boat for what it is and knowing that it’s over 10 years old but if I went through the problems that @Michael T has with brand new boats I would have been furious. The quality issues he has mentioned are inexcusable at any price point IMO. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price, layout, performance.  When we sold our Maxum 2400 and bought a new 342, we wanted a separate shower, fridge AND icemaker in the cockpit, and a roomy v-berth.  Other new boats with those features were double the price.  Later, we came to recognize the performance benefits -- fast cruise speeds and good fuel economy.  

Another reason -- in more recent years -- this forum.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reason was simple. Diesels in A 342
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
    On my 3rd Rinker. Always like the style, price & build. Back in the day we had a local dealer that was great to work with. Have also owned 3 other boats brands in the past. keep coming back to Rinker. Would buy another in a second. Fingers crossed someone buys them from Polaris & restarts them. Back in the day when the Rinker family still owned them & took pride in them was another reason i liked them. If the family didn't sell they would still be making them. Get big business involved & we see what happens.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    So for me, I became interested back when I had my 24' Sea Ray and someone that became good boating friends with us bought a new (demo) 2001 310.  I learned everything about that boat and thought it was absolutely amazing!  I believe at the time, they paid $104k for it, & it only had 10 hours or so as a demo for boat shows.  It was ton of money in my mind at the time, but I loved it and thought some day.  He then moved up to a 342 which even blew my mind more!  That separate shower was amazing.  But, his fuel burn wasn't, so I really wanted a 310.  I finally decided in 2006 that with 2 growing kids, we needed some space!!  Time for a Rinker!  That buddy of mine helped me do the survey on the boat (which we both new well).  I then started up Rinker Rendezvous (now shortened to Rinkervous) that first year we bought the boat in 2006. Gosh, it wasn't too long after that he passed away at like age 46. He never did make it to a Rinkervous. Well, to keep the story from going sad, we always thought the 400 was amazing and had the best layout for a boat that size.  The two twin beds would be perfect and two doors that closed for each cabin, wow!!  Again, nothing like it for the price!  & 45mph for a 400!!  Crazy!

The day we bought our first Rinker, we moved all of our crap on it and was leaving on it for 10 days.  Literally within hours after signing the check!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it was the value ... cost vs. what you get. And I wasn't focused on the aesthetics ... I am an engineer, and what is important is the core. So when I heard from the surveyor that the hull is absolutely solid, and that the deck and hull molds were glassed together (which is something he rarely sees and is a solid improvement) ... I knew I was getting a good quality boat.

My personal opinion is the appointments could be better, but I also think that is easily addressed by the owner ... add some SeaDek, change the table to a wooden one, steps to wood, put in some color-changing LEDs on the radar arch, etc. and you have a really well finished boat too.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    • Generally all of the above (except diesel - nice to have but not an option on what we bought). But the style holds well - I have had a number of people be very surprised that mine is an 03 model because of how it looks and conditions. While I take pride in the condition I keep the boat, having a good looking, well finished vessel goes a long way.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    For me it was the cost.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @raybo3.....for me it was the incredibly strong hull, timeless look of the model line and same equipment as other brands for a LOT less money. Yes the wire looms were a little squirrely but what better way to spend a day with a buddy and a few cold beers cursing a wire that turned from red to blue (like the language) half way from a fuse block to its final destination - hey a few extra spools of colored wire and some zip ties and voila - no problems amigo!  For sure I had some irritating experiences with the two new cruisers (310 and 360) with some warranty issues which Rinker made good on - and remember - those two cruisers were purchased when Global Nautic (or whatever the h3ll they were called) owned Rinker and were imo squeezing the employees and company dry. As we know I have owned 7 Rinkers (5 factory new) from the 190 to EC360. ALL of them are still on the water across North America from Ontario to Tennessee. Also, try putting a 390HP 383 w Bravo l in any other entry level boat - like I did with my Rinker 190 (originally came from the factory with a 4.3LX/Alpha l in it)  - and see what happens to it! My "black" EC 310 and EC360 drew boaters to them wherever I was docked to the chagrin of the Four Winns, Formula, Regal, Cruisers and SR owners who btw had their own warranty issues too. As for performance NO other hull with the same power can touch a Rinker for acceleration, cruising performance or top end. NO one - many have tried ALL have failed. I have left a trail of "other brand" thoroughly embarrassed boaters in the wake of my Rinkers. Rinker company and Rinker Boats have provided me with a lifetime of enjoyment and put three generations of my family and friends on the water, taught kids and grandkids how to drive and dock boats - safely, to water ski, fish, tube, wake surf and yes - to party.....only oem margarita blender on any boat!!!!! Just sayin' .....just sayin' 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was the part I liked.

As for performance NO other hull with the same power can touch a Rinker for acceleration, cruising performance or top end. NO one - many have tried ALL have failed. I have left a trail of "other brand" thoroughly embarrassed boaters in the wake of my Rinkers
    Boat Name : 

......@randy56.....lol - glad you liked that! :-)
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @Michael T You my friend win first prize, for the most Rinker's owned. 
    Boat Name : 

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know anything about Rinker back in 2009 when I bought my 212. I knew the layout was pretty nice at the time and when I went to boat shows after that I realized just how nice a boat I had. 8'6 beam in a 21' boat , entrance to boat via built in swim platform(no stepping on seat cushions getting in), table, and a nice stable hull for my lake. Only when I started boating on the ocean bays and daily 2' chop that I realized the boat is better suited to sheltered water. A pretty impressive find back then that still works well today for the most part.
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Admiral and I liked the layout when we saw our 270.  It was clean.  Looking back i should have made a better decision on size of boat and engine specs.  Should have went bigger with twins.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @raybo3.....btw - great idea for a thread, Ray. Sometimes in the midst of irritating little gremlins (that plague ALL brands) we Rinker owners can forget how truly lucky (or wise) we were to purchase a Rinker. As for this forum this is also something that NO other forum can touch for support, camaraderie, wise advice, tips, good natured ball busting etc. etc. MANY have tried ALL have failed.....simply the best forum anywhere. :-)
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @Michael T I totally agree about ALL brands having their bugs. I know people that won't buy brand new for that reason and would rather buy 2 years old because the bugs are gone. This forum is amazing and worth every minute of time I put in it. It's so awesome people helping people. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the layout in the cockpit and headroom in the cabin for us. We loved our first Rinker (2001 242). Honestly, when we were looking to go bigger I wanted to stick with Rinker because of this forum. Even though make doesn’t matter here, I still wanted a Rinker. I’m 100 % happy with our 2008 330! 
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the same reasons. The layout, great hull, most bang for the buck, classic lines. We searched for over a year and although I wasn't looking for a Rinker specifically at first, I did have a feature's list including single engine  (less maintenance cost and fuel), but big enough for a comfortable weekend or week on the boat. Good headroom in the cabin. Doral was also high on our list. Canadian made so many of you might not know of them but were also known for a great hull and good layout. We did check out a 270 that hit all the points on our list but was very poorly maintained. But while chatting with the broker he mentioned that he could "sell Rinker 270's and Rinker's in general all day long" and that got us steered onto the brand and also this forum which cemented the deal. I walked into a broker one cold winter's day and they had a clean low hour 270 inside their warehouse/show room and made the deal on the spot. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    YYZRC said:
    I find Dorals to be really goofy - no sharp edges anywhere! The cabin feels like being in a fun house without the mirrors. 
    Fun house with a striper pole

That's different pic's never posted like that before.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of star ratings and of such on an app for weather warnings... 

1000's of apps downloaded, and all with rave reviews such as "the tornado horns sounded at the same time my app did! It works!" And "wondering about storm on horizon, and the app sounded the chances of tornados before the horns or the EBS sounded!"... the single rating of "1" was made by some poor soul who said "tornado wiped out my house and everything I own except my phone.  It never made a sound".... 

Point being: we can all figure we know a thing or two about a thing or two, but the truth is we never press our bows into 8' sea's or roll dice with winds above 30mph sustained... we simply don't, because that's reckless.  We have no idea, truth be told, what forces will destroy one boat and allow another passage... only an idiot would decide to test that.  That leaves us with fit and form... or, form and function.  By my reckoning anyway... 

Rinker has a nice boat.  Their build is as good as anyone else's in pseudo brackets above.  Like anything else, we pay for name and availability.   I dont know about any of yall, and I'm rarely here anymore as it is- but I work hard for my money and every penny means something.... im not going to buy something for a wow factor and brand recognition unless that recognition is based on something that truly sets it apart.  

We all run rinkers- which have choices of merc or Volvo engines and drives.  Just like others.  So, that doesn't set it apart.  Build does, and as said the rinkers are as good as anyone's.  The fit and finish of upholstery is good as well as the layout and appointments.  Style/design is seaworthy and fitting... so what makes it better or worse? 

Optics.   And, how much coin you want to drop on an item that will meet or exceed your requirements.  

My rinker fit that bill.   The little 212 is a great coastal cruiser and in the shallows and trailering is far better for my purposes than some monstrous almost yacht or yacht that fits yalls needs.  And I didn't break the bank securing it as my own.  I would have paid 1/2 again for a crownline with bells and whistles that impress bit have no real gain of function... 1/4 more for a SR or Chappy... same thing.... its far better in quality than a Bayliner or those classes and as said before- insofar as function and quality, and for my purposes, it's as good as a chappy or crown.  

Money.  That's what it comes down to- it's the 858 or Hemingway series of boats where you enter the quality spectrum knowing it doesn't get THAT much better except for...... optics.  Personally, I don't care what others think.  
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the layout of our 270 and the beam of 9' on that size boat was a plus to. I don't need a speed demon and certainly did not get one but it does fine by us- most of the waters I'm in on the river are max 25 anyway....keeps me out of trouble. That, and all the manatee zones it's just putting slow anyway....the layout up top was way more usable space than other brands I looked at...the head room down below also is great, does not feel closed in. Great design and I got it at a great price I think!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen @212rowboat -- a lot of it boils down to money.  When I bought the 342, I could barely spend/borrow the price tag, and it was a gut-wrenching, agonizing stretch.  No other brand came remotely close.  Sea Ray?  Shut up - not the same value proposition.  Four Winns, Doral, Chapparal?  C'mon.  And who wouldn't buy a Cobalt or Hinkley if they had it like that.  
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love a hinkley!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Would love a Princess…..lottery money!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/