Options

Galley sink counter

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
On my 2006 342FV the galley sink counter does not have a fiddle, has anyone fitted one? My boat has a slight list to aft and starboard so water runs off the counter down to the carpet. I also have to caulk the counter where it meets the step up for the stove top as water is getting under there.

Answers

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine runs to the step up also but then back the other direction away from the open floor. I put a bead of clear silicon in the corner and rear joint but also leave a folded paper towel in the corner in case anything gets there so to soak it up. Possible to get a thin strip of SS or corian to put an edge on the top?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the same situation on my 342. Never considered a fiddle, just made sure to wipe up with a towel after doing dishes, sometimes during. It came very well caulked seam where counter met the step up “wood”. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I give up. Even with Google I still don't know exactly what a "fiddle" is - can someone educate me? 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I’m here to learn, too!
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    A fiddle is a raised edge on  a counter or stove top to help prevent pots and pans ETC sliding off while underway or at anchor with wave action. The bathroom counter on my 342 FE has one. it will also stop water or spills from ending up on the floor.
  • Options
    This photo shows the fiddle in the bathroom.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Odd, lets stop it flowing into the wet area but not put one where it’s not supposed to get wet….

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    A fiddle is a raised edge on  a counter or stove top to help prevent pots and pans ETC sliding off while underway or at anchor with wave action. The bathroom counter on my 342 FE has one. it will also stop water or spills from ending up on the floor.
    Interesting never knew this had a name. Always called it a "raised edge" at home. Thanks for the learned something new lesson of the day!  :)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
    @Grahamu has spent too much time driving ginormous cruising yachts!
  • Options
    @LaRea, don't know about ginormous but up to 65', many a meal has been saved by the fiddle when offshore and sailing for 10 days before landfall.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the 2006, but my old 2003 had the galley installed sloping to aft and port…a lot.  Pots on the cooktop would slide off.  Had to raise the whole galley over 2” at the end towards the head to level it out.  Alswagg and his son came up to do that job for me.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Black_Diamond mine is only slight but enough to be annoying. The aft list is probably because I carry an inflatable and motor on the swim platform 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Grahamu. I had a 9.5AB RIB w/9.9 2-stroke. Near 170# on a Hurley H3O davit. I added 150# of lead ingots in the rode locker.  Helped a lot.  Regardless, my whole galley and table/seating were installed at an angle. Even Al was not sure how that happened, but common in the 2003 model, maybe a year or two after too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI