Shocked by my propeller last night...

Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
Sharing because I'm still trying to understand this one, but want to make sure no one else nearly ordered $1k in new hardware because of a bad cord.

I spent the day replacing springs on the triple axle trailer, using a quality heavy-duty extension cord to run an angle grinder. Barefoot. All Day.

When I wrapped up I moved the same extension cord to the boat to run the HVAC blower while I worked inside. I noticed a loose socket by the sterndrive and bent over to get it: when I leaned against the propellor I found myself unable to let go. We had a heat advisory (it was 107°), and I'm a former GC used to working in it all day, but getting older. No big deal, I pushed a little harder and got back up.

Must be woozy.

I went back to the ladder, and guess what? My left arm tingled - I must be having a heart attack or stroke! %$^@$%^ CoVID got me, kids! No, suddenly that pain stopped when I let go. Hmmm.

Spent a few hours with a voltmeter confused:
  29VAC on the ladder to concrete
  48VAC on the sterndrive to concrete
  The boat is on a trailer, but sitting on wood blocks - that's not causing it, right? (I was HOT).

Started flipping breakers, moving upstream from the battery charger. 48VAC on ground/negative anytime the boat is plugged in. New (to us) house: maybe the garage wasn't wired right? Nope, that's not it.

Then I checked the cord: it had been yanked hard enough the ground wire in the male end pulled out, and a single strand fell across the hot connector inside the plug housing (also, an employee terminated this 12 years ago - notice the extra cut on the neutral wire insulation?)

48VAC from ground to "concrete", while plugged into a GFCI protected breaker. Never tripped.

So here it is: be careful! Even a GFCI won't protect your dumb, tired a$$ from stupid.
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments