Options

No idle for 5.0 MPI

btim_192btim_192 Member Posts: 6

My 2007 192 with about 200 hours on the 5.0 MPI suddenly will not idle.  I had it out last weekend. 6 people on board.  Cruised around for a while. Stopped a couple times and back on plane, no problems.  I pulled into a public marina to let the kids go for a walk and it stalled.  Would not start unless I opened the throttle a bit.  It runs fine with the RPMs up to 1300 or more but couldn't idle to put it into gear.  I had to adjust the throttle linkage to make it idle high, so I could put it in gear to get home.  No alarms, and it runs smooth once it is above idle.  

Earlier in the day I ran over a sand bar at low speed. So, I could have sucked up some sand.  The problem did not surface for a while after that though. This was only the second time the boat has been out this year so it has been sitting.  I keep ethanol free gas in it, with gas preservative, so I'm not sure if I should suspect the gas.  Any suggestions will be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with the IAC valve. It has a small filter too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

I did the resistance test today, and it fails.  I just ordered a new IAC, plus gasket and "muffler" filter.  Thank you for the suggestion Black Diamond.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most welcome :D

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Robyw1Robyw1 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭

Also check to see if your warning buzzer under the dash is working. if it was a dead IAC motor you should have gotten a beep every 2 minutes while underway.

• Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    B Diamond :  I just replaced both I A C valves last week. Where is the filter you refer to?  I did not notice it.  
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robyw1 said:

Also check to see if your warning buzzer under the dash is working. if it was a dead IAC motor you should have gotten a beep every 2 minutes while underway.

it's somewhat of a disappointment, but these things sometimes goof up for the same reason they work... if the 'map' on an IAC is out of whack, the thing could be closed when in fact the 'map' says it's open, which would make the PCM look right past it.... the IAC is no doubt the culprit, but one thing that can be done to attempt to recover it, is for the thing to be removed and cleaned, after disconnecting the battery- and then reinstalled and re-powered.. sometimes you will hear or feel a buzz from it as it remaps itself by opening and closing at both extremes...

i'm guessing the map on it was off, and therefor the PCM looked right past it, not offering an alarm, or setting a code.

RW- some of them don't have them.. what year do you have?
  • Options

The filter/muffler is actually inside the throttle body.  You have to remove the air filter to get to it.  It's a small fiberous square in a side chamber, half the size of a piece of Bazoka Joe. Easily missed. 

I did not hear any warning beep or buzzer while I was running it.  I only hear the initial beep at key-on.   I will post the results after I install the new IAC. Thanks all.

• Options
    Robyw1Robyw1 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Robyw1 said:

it's somewhat of a disappointment, but these things sometimes goof up for the same reason they work... if the 'map' on an IAC is out of whack, the thing could be closed when in fact the 'map' says it's open, which would make the PCM look right past it.... the IAC is no doubt the culprit, but one thing that can be done to attempt to recover it, is for the thing to be removed and cleaned, after disconnecting the battery- and then reinstalled and re-powered.. sometimes you will hear or feel a buzz from it as it remaps itself by opening and closing at both extremes...

i'm guessing the map on it was off, and therefor the PCM looked right past it, not offering an alarm, or setting a code.

RW- some of them don't have them.. what year do you have?

Mine is a 2004. I had to replace mine on the water because docking and trailering the boat in heave wind would have been dangerous w/o idle. A word on the IAC muffler sometimes you can remove them for cleaning but if there is adhesive on them they will rip apart. Believe me you will know it when it is not there. The hissing noise is real annoying.
  • Options

Received IAC yesterday, installed it this evening.  10 minute job.  Fixed!!!

Thanks for the input.