Options

Looking to tow a Dinghy with my 342

Hey all,

I currently have an 06’ 342 with Merc 350 Bravo 3’s.  We haul around our Highfield 290 with a Merc 15hp 2-stroke on a dinghy caddy.  

This setup works great for us,  but we are a growing family and I see the useful life of the 290 coming to an end in the near future.

I am looking into larger RIBs that I would tow behind the 342.  From speaking with boating friends, it seems like I should be shopping in the 500lb (max) range.  A fellow boater currently has a 1,000lb dinghy behind a similarly power/weighted cruiser, and he says it simply too heavy.

If you have done research on the topic, or have experience towing a RIB I would lover to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!
2006 342FV - Ontario

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Tow how far?  In what kind of water ... lake, river?  What cruise speed are you looking for?  
  • Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    We are in Georgian Bay.  We typically travel 3 miles at 6-8mph by river, and another 6-20 miles at 30mph in the bay to our anchorages.

From time to time me will make longer runs at 60+ miles.  In that case, I don’t see towing a 500lb dinghy… unless someone here says it’s a terrific idea.  Lol.
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think towing is an issue just as long as you make sure it is secured to a strong point on the boat and generally you just let out the right amount of line for your wake. Try to get the dinghy sitting in the sweet spot behind you where it's calm. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @alex8q4 I recognized your username from the FW forum!

No advice on towing but welcome - this is a great forum and much more active than the FW board. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @alex8q4 I recognized your username from the FW forum!

No advice on towing but welcome - this is a great forum and much more active than the FW board. 
    The FW forum was great up to a few years ago, not sure what happened.  Couldn’t have that, so I bought a Rinker!  Lol.

This forum is fantastic, lots of activity and great info. I don’t post often, but I have been pulling a ton of info off this site since I bought my 342 last spring.
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    The tow line should float so it doesn't get wrapped around your props and a bridle to attach to the dinghy. It will track straighter.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a soft bottom dingy that I would just pull up on my swimplatfrom on my 342, tie off and go. Towing slow is ok but fast then 15mph is ???.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no good tow hook on the 342 unless you tie to the aft cleats. The swim platform would not take that pulling load.  Towing 500# at 30mph seems like a lot to ask. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The plan would be to use floating line setup as bridal from the two transom cleats.  Speed would dictate the length of the line. 

I see transient boats of all kinds (sail, aft cruisers, express cruisers, etc) in our area towing all types and all sizes of tenders.  

I know my boat would have no problem towing a pretty large and heavy RIB at low speeds.  I am positive if setup right I could tow a 500 lb RIB.  I guess I’m hoping someone here had experience towing with a 342 or similar to see how plays out at different weights and speeds.  

A dinghy can be towed at pretty high speeds, 25 mph +, given the tow line is long enough… 75’ish.  I just have no sense of what my 342 is capable of doing.

Thanks for the input so far!
    2006 342FV - Ontario