New Rode Slipping

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
Some might recall my post from a month or so ago when the chain was slipping in my windlass gypsy.  The Horizon 900 was discontinued years ago and I searched for replacement gypsy for a couple of weeks without success.  I tested my current gypsy with the rope portion of current rode and it worked great.  So I decided to buy an all rope rode rather than a new windlass.  (We boat on a lake and many boats don't use chain.) 

I purchased a 5/8" diameter double braided nylon rode from Amazon.  Installed it a few days ago and it is slipping in the gypsy when pulling the line back in. I always drive the boat towards the anchor and keep some slack in the rode - it works ok for this.  It starts to have the problems when I'm pulling it in straight up from the bottom.  It did get a little better with more use over the weekend.  We spent the night out one night so the rode soaked in the water for close to 24 hours.   The gypsy spins just fine so I don't think it is a clutch problem.  Any ideas?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    You purchased Amazon?  Double check the diameter of the rope via calipers.  5/8  is just shy of 16mm. Much of the budget buy Amazon/eBay  stuff is China stuff and it's metric. So if it measures out to 15 mm you now know your issue as it's some .5 to .6 mm too narrow.  Not an issue when pulling  it by hand but very much an issue with your windlass.

I've found some Chinese stuff gives the closest equivalent  in SAE on some products. 

If you don't have a set of calipers take a 5/8 socket or wrench.   Slide the new rode into the socket or slide the wrench over it and eyeball the clearance.   Then compare it to your old rope using the same method.   

I sell arborist  rope (similar to marine rope) so I've heard of similar issues.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Plait line is the size for the rode. It is braided differently than traditional line. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8-plait rode is good stuff. Worked great when I replaced my old windlass.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 on 8-plait. When I read double braid my first question was, is it 8 plait? Needs to be 8-plait.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)