Transom Locker Strut Bracket

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
The strut bracket on the port side of my transom locker door pulled off. I went with bigger screws and it still pulled out after a couple of uses. I’m planning on drilling out the holes much larger then filling with epoxy and possibly fiberglass. Do you guys recommend any other way to fix this? I only need a small amount of epoxy and fiberglass.
2008 330EC

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    What is the rating on your struts? Once you get it fixed up perhaps you should go with a lower # rating? Did you do the @LaRea mod to increase the opening height?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC , I forget what I bought. I’m pretty sure I bought the correct rating recommend from the forum. I haven’t done the mod yet. It’s on my list to eventually get it done.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    I'm guessing you mean the top bracket, where it screws into the trunk lid.  The bottoms could probably be through-bolted.  

Can you just move the bracket up or down a little, and drill new holes?
    edited August 2021
    LaRea said:
    I'm guessing you mean the top bracket, where it screws into the trunk lid.  The bottoms could probably be through-bolted.  

Can you just move the bracket up or down a little, and drill new holes?
    Yes, the top bracket. I can do that @LaRea . I guess I can try that first and if it doesn’t work for some reason I can do the fiberglass repair during the off season.
    2008 330EC
    I ended up moving the bracket over slightly and drilled new holes. Screws went in nice and tight now!
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 is your camera broken? This might be your first project with no pictures 🤔
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited August 2021
    Aqua_Aura said:
    @aero3113 is your camera broken? This might be your first project with no pictures 🤔
    I know!! I said that to myself when I was done fixing it! I had my 4 year old with me yesterday and wanted to get it finished and go for a run to get gas.
    2008 330EC
    shawnmjr said:
    This same thing happened on my boat. I tried bigger screws and no luck. I also moved mine over a tad and drilled new holes. The hatch is a little harder to close due to the strut not being completely straight but it works. This happened a couple years ago and is still holding up. 
    My strut is still pretty straight and didn’t make a difference in pressure to close. 
    2008 330EC