Options

Stumped, need a place to start troubleshooting

Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Electrical Discussions
So I was at my boat last night and fired up the motors and everything worked perfectly, let them warm up no problems. Fast forward to today and the port engine works as it should but starboard just cranks and the tach jumps around. Last night I was checking the navigation lights after running the engines and if I switched to navigation on the switch it would turn some of my gauges on (fuel and oil pressure and one trim gauge) also moves my trim tabs and sets off the warning horn on the Lenco box inside the dashboard. Haven’t done anything new that might have caused this and the navigation lights worked fine last week. This is on a 2007 320 with twin 5.0 liter. Any ideas would be great. 
Post edited by Dutch320 on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Maybe a ground issue?  Find the ground block (probably in the engine room) and check the integrity of every wire attached to it.  

That wouldn't explain the engine, but it might explain the other weirdness.  
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do same this @LaRea mentioned, but behind dash panel.  sounds like the work of corrosion- not as predominate in fresh water as salt, but it's still a boat and they still float atop water.  

a chunk of patina is conductive.  a broken wire on your switch or on your safety kill switch will cause this as well.... if i were to say which is more likely, it's a combo- wires becoming fragile because of corrosion, and a good bounce and it breaks... 

• Options
    Thanks, I’ll be at the boat in the morning checking what you have suggested. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks @Handymans342, I thought today was gonna be filled with banging my head against the wall and drinking to much, so far no banging my head. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That dimmer seems to cause bigger issues than I would think it is capable of. I don't think this is the first post about switch issues and the dimmer being the cause
    1997 Bayliner 3988