Options

Rinker 280 Low Speed Hunting

I previously had a Four Winns Sundowner 235 with a VP Duoprop and that thing would hold a perfectly straight line at all speeds.  Now with my new (to me) 280 I was really surprised at how much the boat hunts and wanders and low speeds. Just curious if others have the same wandering at low speeds and if there is anything I can do to either minimize or eliminate the hunting/wandering.  

We want to run the Trent Severn Waterway or the Rideau canal which has lots of low speed sections, would love to not have to compensate slightly continuously.  

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop the tabs. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @YYZRC is on target ... put the trim tabs down.  Some hulls track straight at low speed, but most will wander.  Tabs will reduce, but not eliminate, the steering effort.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with the tabs down it will still wander but it does get better 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Squatch68Squatch68 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Thanks for the great info and quick responses. I will give that a shot next time we head out. Even a reduction in the wander would be great. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    270 was the same. Tabs down, and also (sounds obvious) but make sure drive fully down also. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    My Bayliner  2859 also had terrible low speed tracking. 

First trick was tabs down, this helped.

Next trick was installing  a huge hydrofoil.   This  gave the stern a little more lift and improved plane time.   This also helped the tracking. 

The biggest improvement was the hill marine 4 blade prop. Again, improving  stern lift. 

It doesn't track like a duo prop but I troll for bass at 3mph  with ease.  

I lost about 1 mph top speed but my boat barely hit 23 mph anyway so not much of an issue for me. I usually cruise  at idle or 17-18mph.

My boat is diesel so fuel sipping trolling  speeds are important to me. Hull speeds around 7mph are also very easy to navigate now

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Willhound said:
    270 was the same. Tabs down, and also (sounds obvious) but make sure drive fully down also. 
    I was kind of wondering if trimming up would help at all to break up the oscillating low pressure on either side of the hull but maybe not?

I am completely new to trim tabs, do they have integrated limit switches for end of travel?  The indicating lights on my lenco control switch are intermittent at best so I'm not positive when I am at end of travel. Don't want to damage anything. 
  • Options

Next trick was installing  a huge hydrofoil.   This  gave the stern a little more lift and improved plane time.   This also helped the tracking. 
    Interesting idea with the hydrofoil
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have limit switches on them so you can't extend or retract beyond the limits. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988