Options

Ignition switch to button

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone come across a push-button or other replacement for the ignition switches that eliminates the need for keys?
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sea Ray kind of has this. You insert the key and turn it "on" down below at the panel and then push a button at the helm to actually start or kill the engine. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Yes I love that! It makes a lot of sense to me. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sea Ray kind of has this. You insert the key and turn it "on" down below at the panel and then push a button at the helm to actually start or kill the engine. 
    Yes, my neighbors ‘06 Sea Ray 290 has that set up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Its not hard to wire so long as it has a standard  ignition switch.   This applies to most 12v starter systems from old hot rod to 95 Honda. 

I doubt you'll find a bolt on kit but if you can get the rinker switch wiring diagram I will be happy to draw you a diagram and link you to the parts I'd use to do this.  Mostly just a 4 prong  relay and a push button switch.

We tinker with stuff like this at the shop often.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I have to ask, why? To eliminate the key? Not that it provides much security to anyone that can hotwire a simple ignition switch but it's something. Or if you have to use a key in a panel anyway, and then push a button to start, why bother?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    My reasons:
    I only got one key for each ignition with the boat. 
    There is no security benefit to keys for a boat as you said. If someone wants it, I would rather they take it without trashing the dash. 
    But the biggest reason is that I boat with a little guy and for safety reasons I would prefer a push button to turn the boat off. Expecting him to remember to turn the key counter clockwise in an emergency is not ideal. 

I actually would prefer a lanyard kill switch but that doesn’t seem to exist for dual engine boats. 
  • Options
    Im sure you could install a lanyard safety switch to kill the + to the key switches about as easily  as wiring the pretty push button starters. Not very JDM...but still do-able. 

• Options
    I was able to figure out how to make it work with one lanyard and one engine but my pea brain couldn’t handle the schematic for one lanyard with two engines!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Lol well you could do 2 switches and then tie the 2 lanyards together. Does the same B + wire feed power to both ignition switches? 

If so then a single safety  switch  is possible.   With use of relays its also possible if they feed off of a different  fuse from the battery. One switch can control  two relays. 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I've considered it, but my reason is that I hate bumping my knee against those keys.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    LaRea said:
    I've considered it, but my reason is that I hate bumping my knee against those keys.
    I've replaced my large keys with much smaller ones that have not gotten bumped.  You may want to consider it.  Within the first month, my original keys got slightly bent.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @YYZRC can you have more keys made? My 06 342 came with 6 or 8 sets of keys. They were just straight metal keys like you'd have for a padlock, nothing custom or chipped. Someone had several extra sets made at the hardware store. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Yes I can order new ones, that’s no problem. 
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    I have been on 100’s of different boats.  For the life of me I can not understand why you would not want to have a key for the ignition / start sequence 
    Because he lives his life one 1/4 nautical mile at a time 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    I have been on 100’s of different boats.  For the life of me I can not understand why you would not want to have a key for the ignition / start sequence 
    Thinking the same thing. People say they don’t lock the cabin because if someone wants to get in they’ll damage more. So can’t see why you’d encourage someone keen enough to take your boat seeing buttons that don’t work so looking downstairs for why…

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I went overboard a couple years ago when docking with my toddler son left on board alone. So yeah, I want something easier than a key.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get your concern @YYZRC and just my opinion, but if your primary reason is your son, a running boat is a running boat, whether or not it is easier for him to push a button. How old is he? Is pushing the button going to become a novelty for him? A tether may be your best solution. Not only better security (can't start it without both key and tether) but if you go in the drink the boat automatically shuts off.
    And just out of curiosity I wonder if there would be any insurance implications if you disable the key ignition and somebody does steal the boat. Do you take part of the blame for making it easier? I know that if you leave your keys in a vehicle and it gets stolen the insurance company can give you a hard time. Those weasel's will use any reason to get out of a full payment.
    Sorry, realize you aren't necessarily looking for opinions, but you know this bunch! :D
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    A water sensing tether fob is the best solution but again because the boat has dual engines I would need two.
  • Options
    Didn't someone post a high amp remote disconnect a while back on the run away bow thruster thread?   You can disconnect the power to the motors via a key fob.  Probably good theft deterrent too if you disconnect when leaving the boat.

No drilling into the dash and a pretty simple inline install.   

If you can get multiple key fobs keep one on the key for the kiddo to use and one on yourself while motor is running. Maybe it works when wet? 

I have a hard top so the admiral would have to throw my tall lanky rear end WWE style through the glass to send me over board.   

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    How about just have a single key made, stick it in the ignition switch and never remove it? Easy, cheap and the same end result. Andy
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    A water sensing tether fob is the best solution but again because the boat has dual engines I would need two.
    You could wire to a double pole relay that cut both. You don’t need 2.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Sounds like a good teaching “in an emergency if Daddy falls over” opportunity. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”