Options

Generator Question?

earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
So, How do you feel about swimming in the water around your boat with the generator running? Always hear about stray current at the dock and not sure why that would be different with the generator running. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be fine
  • Options
    Should be fine
    That's a real confidence builder
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    We always run our generator when not at the dock including swimming. Ran it for a couple hours on the N side of Kelly’s Island last weekend while swimming. Never had a concern about running it while swimming. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I am not sure how it differs from electrical current at the dock. I did a search on the web and foutn this from Discover Boating:

Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)

Don’t swim in a marina or near docks with electrical power. A 120-volt electrical failure on your boat, a neighboring boat or the dock can—in fact often does—energize the water for many feet around it, which can be lethal. Turn off 120-volt generators and inverters while swimming at anchor too.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never let anyone swim around my boat with genny running because of carbon monoxide. Not stray current.
    Most marinas, will not let you swim near them. Too many deaths from shock.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    As for ESD, it is different at docks because of improper grounding being supplied to your boat.  When running the generator, you do not have that. Swimming in a marina can be dangerous in more than just the stray current.  It's also an area that is usually tight and more difficult for a boat move.  The last thing you need is someone in the water while you are docking.

As for CO, everyone has an opinion on it.  There aren't too many times when in a larger raft-up when someone isn't running a generator.  So, yes, I've swam and will continue to swim with a generator running.  I'm not generally hanging around underneath or near the outlet of the generator.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    edited August 2021
    With shore power, the current source is ashore.  It's grounded to earth, so all current supplied to the boat needs to return to earth -- one way or another.  If the current can't return through the shore power cable because of a wiring problem, it will return through the water.  

That's why you should never swim in a marina or near any pier with shore power.  The only safe way to enter the water in a marina is turn off power to the entire pier.  

With a genny on an anchored boat, the current source is aboard the boat.  Current doesn't need a return path to earth.  So shock in the water isn't an issue. 
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    With shore power, the current source is ashore.  It's grounded to earth, so all current supplied to the boat needs to return to earth -- one way or another.  If the current can't return through the shore power cable because of a wiring problem, it will return through the water.  

That's why you should never swim in a marina or near any pier with shore power.  The only safe way to enter the water in a marina is turn of power to the entire pier.  

With a genny on an anchored boat, the current source is aboard the boat.  Current doesn't need a return path to earth.  So shock in the water isn't an issue. 
    That makes sense. The CO2 issue with the generator is always something to be aware of. The electrical issue is something you never hear being discussed.