Options

2014 Rinker 260 EC Fuel Tank Link

Hello All,
Purchased my first boat this February. Prior to the purchase, she sat on a lift for about a year. I have spent the last 6 months replacing batteries, mid and aft bilge pumps, cap/rotor, fuel pump, injectors cleaned, seadek, and lots of cosmetic refurbishment. She looks brand new and runs beautifully. I have taken her out a few times for short trips. 

Last week, I did a trip from North Miami to Marathon. 2/3 of the way through, the high temp sensor trips and the safety kicks in. Spoke with the mechanic and he suspects the raw water impeller needs to be replaced. No big deal. Just moving at a painfully slow speed to reach the slip in Marathon. Mechanic shows up two days later and the bilge had about 3 gallons of gas at the bottom. He removes the fuel with a hand pump and tow the boat to a yard. The following day, another 2 gallons leaked into the bilge. He caps the hoses and waits. Next day, another 2 gallons. At this point, he concludes the tank has been compromised.

I've heard of this happening on older boats. My boat is a 2014 with 260 hours. Any recommendations on having a new tank made and any recourse with warranty?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    This is a tough one. No warranty with the age of the boat and Rinker is now out of business anyway. Changing the tank is difficult. Either the engine will have to come out or I've seen the back wall of the aft cabin cut out to get the tank out and replaced. You might find a replacement but may have to have the existing repaired or a custom one built. There are companies that can also install a bladder inside the existing tank but may not meet regulations. Maybe drain the tank dry and fill with some coloured water to try and pinpoint the leak? Maybe it's fixable without removing. Salt water and metal fuel tanks are a bad combination. There are companies that will take your existing tank and mould a new one out of poly, might be an option also.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is the tank, it can be replaced. The tank was made by Florida Marine Tanks. They can probably make you another tank if you want another aluminum tank. The engine needs removed, the floor and firewall in the aft cabin needs cut out to remove the tank. Not an easy process, but it can be done. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not consider a 2014 with 260 hours an "older" boat. Unless something drastic happened or there was a manufacturing defect, a fuel tank shouldn't leak at seven years old. Maybe you could dye the fuel directly and pressurize the tank to find the source?
  • Options
    drbeepdrbeep Member Posts: 34
    If it is the tank, it can be replaced. The tank was made by Florida Marine Tanks. They can probably make you another tank if you want another aluminum tank. The engine needs removed, the floor and firewall in the aft cabin needs cut out to remove the tank. Not an easy process, but it can be done. 
    The main floor where the seating is?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    If she's had water allowed to sit under the fuel tank it doesn't take long for aluminum to corrode .  Especially in salt air. 

As others said pressue test the tank to verify which your mechanic likely already is aware of. 

The best price quote I got for my replacement tank was out of new jersey. It came epoxy coated so it will likely outlive the guy who bought if from me.

The replacement process sucks.  With a lift and proper tools its a diy job. In marathon the work would be itchy,  hot and miserable.   I did mine  16 hrs north of you in the dead of winter.  If you could remove it from inside the cabin you can do it on the water so long as your marina allows such work but care should be taken so no dust ends up in the water. 

While in marathon hit up Ire Island eats if you haven't been there. Its a little  food truck. They are only open from about 11am to 2pm. Their food is amazing.

If you're fishing  near the protected  islands  off the Channel of the black fin marina resort you can smell their  pork  being smoked by 6am out on the bay....I miss marathon!!!