Options

Merc trim switch

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
My up trim I don't think k ever worked that I recall unless you push into the trailer feature of the switch- so I can assume it is probably not wiring related and is the switch in the handle? Path for trouble shooting?

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Open it up and up and put a meter over the contacts. If down works you should see a closed circuit when pressed, should see the same for up. If not, bad switch; if it’s good then time to go wire or connector chasing. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which binnacle do you have @rasbury. I might have a set of switches for you. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Pull the plastic cover off the throttle and pull the wiring up. Where all the wires connect comes loose. I actually put two zip ties on mine. I was experiencing the same thing two years ago.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    You can also pull the covers over the sensor/limiter and check for corrosion.   

Make sure you mark the covers before removing them. 

If not damaged they can be cleaned and apply some electrical grease  before reinstall. 

I usually find brittle wires going from trim senders to transom shield. 

There are abullet connectors in and around engine/trim pump that can come disconnected. 
  • Options
    Thanks.  I have it home a d will see if she will start...been a while...
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Mine also does this and has from day 1, then again neither has the trim gauge.   Funny thing is that's pretty much status quo on all the I/O's I've ever driven
  • Options
    ah...did not think of that...I did replace the trim senders when I pull the motor and out drive but the gauge never has worked right so I bet your right! And it did start right up, genny as well but no water from the genny so either lost the coupler or the impeller...but that is a genny problem I can deal with.

Thanks @Alswagg

• Options
    I will take a look, thanks @Alswagg

I always adjust the trim by ear, never pay much attention to gauges anyway...but it would be nice to have them work. I bought some new trim sending units off ebay....never could really get them to work proper but it was not a priority either. Only concern I would have is when I get real shallow and have to trim up, don't want to burn up the water pump impeller....will check it out, thanks!