Options

Bow thruster issue

I have a 2008 350ec of which I am the 2nd owner. The amount of time I can use the thruster before it significantly reduces power has gone from not great to full on crappy. The indicators on the charger flash full charge. My guess is that I'm looking at the original battery that died sometime between now and 2008.. Is there anything special I should know before I swap it with a standard 12v marine battery? Best - Thomas Austin TX

Comments

• Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Pull the battery first and take it home. Put it on a charger overnight and top it off with a full charge. Then take it to a battery dealer and have them load test it. The load test will at least diagnose whether the battery is failing or if you have a different issue.

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    If it needs replaced, make sure to go with the proper battery replacement (I believe AGM).  Standard batteries will give a gas while charging and the bow thruster battery is under your V-berth, hence not a good place for that.  5-6 years is definitely all you'd get out of a typical battery, so that is probably your issue.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    That is an AGM battery (only use an AGM battery).  Also, the thruster on our '06 350EC is a Lewmar that had issues with the brushes on the motor.  I changed them out and our thruster works much better.  So, in short, check the battery first, then check the brushes (if you are still having issues).  Lewmar does sell the brushes for the motors.

Let me know if you need any more help...I'm local in Austin (our boat is in The Hollows Marina on Lake Travis) and have mucked with my thruster a lot (due to necessity).  

Kevin Taylor
    Austin, Texas