Options

Engine question.

Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Returning to port yesterday we got a hard engine alarm. Shut down immediately and raised the engine hatch. Was greeted with a little smoke and it smelled of burnt rubber. The raw water intake had come off. We reattached the hose and topped off the oil. Started engine and got back to the dock. Temperature on way back was normal.  Impellers we’re replaced for this season. 

My question is should I replace the impeller before my 70 mile journey to the storage facility?

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw water hose at the pump? From burning mine up in seconds while trying to run with muffs I'd say it is not very forgiving to running with no water- but of your running normal temp then it must be ok- not much for gray area. Does not mean it won't fail soon than later as a result.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the minimal cost to replace I would do it. If you have a Merc, it’s a bear to replace in optimal conditions as you know. I would rather do it at the dock vs on the lake. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Squatch68Squatch68 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    For the minimal cost to replace I would do it. If you have a Merc, it’s a bear to replace in optimal conditions as you know. I would rather do it at the dock vs on the lake. 
    +1 wouldn't risk it.

Any idea why the hose came off in the first place? Recent service work? 
  • Options
    The engine was pulled at the beginning of the season to replace the coupler. But we have run her a lot this summer. In Lake Michigan at that. 
  • Options
    Uh, might take it back and explain what happened...that one should be on them...or at least most of the cost...
  • Options
    It came off where it attached to the water pump on the engine.  I also had both impellers changed prior to the season.
  • Options
    I'm not sure which would be harder but Al knows how it is done...should be some responsibility from the company that worked on it. They don't just fall off...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    And that is on the suction side of the pump? Even more odd...I don't think it would fall off if they forgot the clamp!