Options

97 Rinker 240 5.7 runs and shuts off when throttled

Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
Went lake first time this summer. Had full tank gas with Seafoam Marine additive. Boat has new fuel filter, plugs, oil. Run fine for hour or so. Stopped for lunch under shade. Boat started up. Give it gas, goes dead. Crank it give gas it dies. Finally cranked run fine got back close to boat ramp. Turned it off and done same thing. Had to pull it around docks to ramp and load while dead. Just happened today and havent had time to dig into it. Do these have electric or mechanical fuel pump? It looks like it has a throttle body type carb system . I'm thinking the gas additive may have broke up a lot of crude in fuel system and something stopped up. Is there a screen in fuel line somewhere? Should I remove fuel filter and see if its clean?

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anti siphon valve perhaps?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could have an inline filter somewhere . I would replace the new filter that was installed and look for an inline filter to replace. You could have some water in the tank.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks! I wonder if Heet would take it out? It has 50 gallon tank and was when I started out today. It would be a pain to get 35- 40 gallon gas out.
  • Options
    This is a 807949A1 fuel pump on left side of motor with the fuel cooler. Seems mechanics around here dont like some jobs on Mercruisers and this is one. Steering cable is another one. When you have to stand on your head and be Houdini  to reach a part in. They tend to price the job so you wont call back . Like everything else I'll probably have to tackle it myself.
  • Options
    Rinker310_LIRinker310_LI Member Posts: 22
    HI @Stever00
    Just want to share my recent experience.  It may not be your fix though.  I had a similar experience on my port motor which is a merc 5.0L EFI circa 2002.  I was testing spark and fuel and had both.  On a whim, I replaced the ignition coil because it was a cheap swap at $50 and bam no problems!  The coil was failing and seemed to fail more when throttling up.  Mine uses the same coil in the carb versions from the late 90s.  
    2002 Rinker 310
  • Options
    Thanks for info. This boat is about 24 years old. I may change that when I get another fuel pump. Right now I'm replacing steering cable. Ordered one and wont fit my boat. On a 240 it's a nightmare to do. Especially when you have to send cable back and do it twice.