Options

Boat storages ?

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
Can a heavy boat like a Rinker 310 (14000 pound )  be in a high and dry storage meaning stored indoors up on a rack with other boats. Do the weight of the boat will damages the hull of the boat with time. Any ideas will be appreciate.

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    All depends on the facility and how it was designed. No different than being on the ground on stands. It's a matter of how they position the racks. If they do it right, no problems. Our building was built about five years ago and is all heavy duty steel construction and has a lot of boats our size (310) on the high racks. I think they said they can store up to 35' above me.

• Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    The 310 tends to be right at the limit.  I've seen places that will do it and others that won't.  I know at our marina it is right at the limit for the fork lift (for length, not weight).  Your best bet is to check with the place you want to keep it at first.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I've seen boats that size on lifts in canals in front of their homes. 

Your only limitation will be finding available space in your area.  In Miami everyone owns 2 boats.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my 330 on the bottom rack of a storage rack last winter. Only issue is possible drips from boats above. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    YYZRC said:
    I had my 330 on the bottom rack of a storage rack last winter. Only issue is possible drips from boats above. 
    Exactly why I’d want to be on top if I racked. Seen a few places where bilge or engine rap drips down, cover on or not.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Trade offs - bottom rack you can work on your boat over the winter. I just put some cheap painters plastic on for protection. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    My bigger consent is the weight of my boat. because the complete weight will be support on the 2 pieces of wood of the rack. I am wonder if it can cause structural damages to the hull of the bottom of the boat in the long run.            
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    oscar1 said:
    My bigger consent is the weight of my boat. because the complete weight will be support on the 2 pieces of wood of the rack. I am wonder if it can cause structural damages to the hull of the bottom of the boat in the long run.            
    It should not if they are positioned correctly.  My boat, as well as many others in my marina are lift kept and sit on 2 pieces of wood. Definitely not an issue, even long term.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marina will probably be pretty good at adjusting them properly.  They don't want to cut you a check for a hull failure due to improper storage.   That's  most likely a total loss claim and with today's boat prices, a very large check.  

You can eyeball and see if the supports under the hull are supporting the stingers or not . 

My boat is almost as heavy as yours (5 tons) and has lived on at trailer since 2019.  Same concept, two 4x12 boards supporting my hull.

• Options
    I appreciate everyone info. i can make my decision better.