Options

People anchoring in a channel

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can’t find the post when we were talking about this. Here is a guy anchored, fishing and in the channel. You can see my buoy, I had to go between him and the buoy and make a sharp left. This pic is of me on plane, I didn’t slow down but came very close to the buoy to try and give him some space 🙄.

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited August 2021
    Some people are just idiots and should not own a boat. I don't give them any curtesy anymore. Stop hindering the aids of navigation. In my area we have MORON lobstermen that put their traps right in the channel. Can't see them at night. Our Harbormaster says "just move them"..... Really??? Screw that we now cut the buoy's off so let them have to look for them. Sooner or later they will get the message........ Dip$hits 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    We have the "hog lines" of fishermen and people will start to anchor out further and further as space runs out and they end up in the channel of the Columbia where there is lots of ship traffic. You here those 5 horns very often during fishing season. 

Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always love the posts from the local fisherman down here complaining that people wake them when they are anchored right off channels.. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got no issues with guys who fish on the edges of the Channel.  I'll give you a wide berth when I'm able to but I'm not going to give you a no wake speed.

• Options
    J3ff said:
    Always love the posts from the local fisherman down here complaining that people wake them when they are anchored right off channels.. 
    F-them I'd wake them also....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on @raybo3 why don’t you tell us how you really feel?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Come on @raybo3 why don’t you tell us how you really feel?!
    Because I don't have the time to type it out.......Bahahahahaha
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    If you are anchored in the channel you must expect to get waked. Asking everyone to slow down for every boat stopped in the channel is asking a bit much.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    We have the "hog lines" of fishermen and people will start to anchor out further and further as space runs out and they end up in the channel of the Columbia where there is lots of ship traffic. You here those 5 hors very often during fishing season. 

Why is that spot so hot? What are they fishing for? A 100 boats in a quarter mile area? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    That's on the Columbia river and it's on the outlet of the Cowlitz River so they are trying to get the salmon that head up the Cowlitz. Looks the same at the next major river which is the Lewis. 

There is a reason they call it battle fishing 😡
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    It gets pretty bad on the Detroit River during spring walleye season. Not a lot of recreational boaters out that early but the freighters are. You hear the freighters blowing their horns all morning and then in the evening. Mostly 18’ and under boats in the shipping channel playing chicken with a freighter. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have that in Pittsburgh as well. Where the three rivers come together at ‘The Point’, the people who own boats drop anchor anywhere they please. The local tourist boats along with the barges are constantly hitting the 5 blasts on a weekend summer day. The USCG had to write a rule that you are no longer allowed to be more than 200 feet from shore and anchored in the channel. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    worse the idiots that pull their kids on tubes