best teak-like flooring?

Hey everyone..I have been comparing Nuteak,plas-teak ect..
any real life  testimonials for salt water use  boats??

any better made brands to go for?

I already know I have to make my own templates ,as nobody has the floor plan on the rinker 1999-2002 fiesta vee 270 model..

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    MarineMat. Better product IMHO than SeaDek and lasted well
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can validate these sizes/shapes, and then give me a measurement for the swim platform- I can make you pe-eva mats- 6mm if not 10mm thickness, and i think i have natural (a little bit lighter than khaki) and black in stock.. i have light gray over black in stock.. I can get whatever colors you want- and- i can cut custom logo's or simple line graphics in it for you... 

my cost for a job like this is $1700, including the custom graphics.. plus shipping.  it would take me a week or so.  

the material i use isn't el-cheapo.. it's by far the better material available- which means the layered EVA is consistent in thickness- 6mm would be 3mm black base and 3mm whatever other color.. 10mm is 5/5... lessor quality material differs in depths and often times within inches (instead of a gradual increase/decrease, which still isn't acceptable)...

I have special bits and cutters that cost me a small fortune, and use both a vacuum table pulling 26g or so, as well as pneumatic rollers to hold the material firmly flat while the cnc works it's magic.  I use a specially designed knife to cut the edges smoothly with a tight radius where needed... the backing is a 3M adhesive that is pretty dang good at what it does. 

respond here or PM me- as well as anyone else who may be interested. 

by the way- seadek has your measurements, but they'll still require a template... ever asked yourself 'why'? 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have flexiteak which is a plastic teak product. It is very nice and durable, washes very easily and the occasional stain can be sanded out. You can sand as much as you want and it will look new. Looks very nice. No dirty footprints or need to remove shoes, but it is crazy hot in the sun. We have rugs which helps a lot. They have new cool plastic teak products but that is only 10 degrees cooler so 10 degrees cooler than crazy hot is still incredibly hot. I like it but it’s not perfect with how hot it gets.

I would not do sea deck outside on a swim platform. Two boats on my dock have sea deck which was professionally done and is only 2-3 seasons old and both swim platforms are bubbling up. But inside the cockpit that would be ok. Not perfect though as you have to stick it down.

best I’ve ever had was luxury woven vinyl carpet. I think that is the best option in the cockpit and probably for the swim platform too. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as with most things, preparation is crucial.  with the 3M backing, it'll basically bond to the decking and not move... but... it has to be cleaned very well and then wiped with a no linting cloth with denatured alcohol- several times.  the problem with white is it is difficult to see if you missed somewhere or there is a streak.  it has to be perfect, and especially the edges.

EVA WILL fade in UV regardless of what advertisers say- but- it'll last upwards of seven or eight years with fair ease all the same.  I carve these things up, but i won't install them as it takes way too much time to get that surface prepared correctly.   
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I agree with @Liberty44140 - the woven stuff is great.  I bought from here: https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/products/marine-vinyl-woven-flooring-flexa?variant=28255787417684 

For about $300 I had enough flooring to do the cockpit.  I cut it myself with some Fiskars PowerArc scissors and then had a local shop add Sunbrella binding.  For $500 or so I have great carpet.  Here's a photo before final trimming and binding:

I had EVA foam on a previous boat and it's a pain.  It is easy to mark up and doesn't look great after a year of boating.  I also don't like the hodgepodge of pieces that you get when you do EVA foam (due to the size of the sheets); all the cut-outs plus the engine hatch cut-out make it look like a jigsaw puzzle to me.  Fine for a bass boat but not very classy IMO.  I love the look of my one continuous piece of carpet!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭

I would not do sea deck outside on a swim platform. Two boats on my dock have sea deck which was professionally done and is only 2-3 seasons old and both swim platforms are bubbling up. But inside the cockpit that would be ok. Not perfect though as you have to stick it down.

My stick down MarineMat on the platform has no bubbles or anything and now in its 4th year there. Prep is key, a good wash and dry and then stick it down carefully - once only. If you mess and lift it may come up but you’ll lose “stick”.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• maxwellmaxwell Member Posts: 106
    flexiteak vs. nuteak,vs. seadeck ,vs.plasdeck,vs.isoteek ,vs,permateek ect.
    What is best???
    need the teak look.Whats best for durability,regardless of price??
    Thanks for the pattern 212..I appreciate that.
    Liberty...based on what you said....I am pretty confused at this point.I .was leaning to seadeck on the inside..and perhaps flexiteak for the swim platform...for durability..with the sun.

good choice?

mixing and matching is not the aim though..

any other guys that have done this?

marine mat is great on our pontoon..but the Rinker needs the teak look..I am thinking..

I do think eva is out of the question, not tough enough ,right?

thanks everyone!
    max

edited September 2021
    Best durability will be flexiteak/Plas teak. It will last the longest and take the most abuse. Stains will wash or sand out over and over. It’s just really, really, really darn hot in the sun.

• earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    I have Plasdek on my platform. Its a great product. Cleans easily and looks good.
    I believe its made in the USA but not 100% sure on that. The newer Plasdek products dont get as hot as the old versions. Mine was installed in July of this year and we have not had any issues with heat at all. it gets worm but not hot.
    We had Seadek on our last platform and it was good with the exception of the dogs snagging it up a good bit and it gives up adheasion after about 7 years in.
    We have Marinemat in the cockpit and Plasdek on the platform. They are very similar and work well together

edited September 2021
    Believe Plasdek is made by Plas-teak in Akron, Ohio. All of the PVC for that product is definitely made in the USA, probably Ohio as well, maybe Kentucky. 

The new "cool" technology that they can put in to PVC will definitely make it cooler in the sun than the 2007 product on my boat, but the difference is only 10 degrees. I just cant imagine 10 degrees makes that big of a difference but maybe it does. Whether my attic is 100 F or 110 F its still really darn hot!!! LOL

Plas-dek it is..thanks guys!
    We have dogs...Seadek definitely would take the beating...
    Admiral is always after me to cut dogs nails.. :open_mouth:
    They don't like it much though..

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I have been on the fence for flooring also and I am having carpet remade for the 270...500 bucks. Also having all the cockpit seating redone for 2500 which I thought pretty awesome....can't wait until it is done! I thought about other than carpet but I know when I don't have my carpet in and the camper package up, there is nothing to absorb sound- but the 270 is smaller to so that may make a big difference..plus, we boat during the "winter" and the carpet I thought would be better...I will be an a hole for a while watching the kids destroy it...
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Rasbury...do you have a pic of your new seating?
    just curious..I thought about adding the double captains chair..
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not yet....he was supposed to start this week on it.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaDek is good quality, BUT it is a bit is soft. Drop something heavier on it, and it will cut easy ... it's like a foam. That is my only gripe with it. Not sure if the other systems are hardier.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

thanks mark..good to know.
    Dogs and seadek.??..hmmm..could be ..not so good.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had dogs, small ones ... but yeah a few jumps, and thinks start to rip.  It's pretty soft.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"