Options

Still boat shopping for Captiva 192

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
I found this boat on Craigslist in Lansing MI.  
https://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/d/lansing-2005-rinker-captiva/7367060981.html
The initial inspection went very good.  The condition of the interior and exterior were great.  The problem came with the sea trial.  The boat started right up and we started out at slow speed to let the engine warm up.  After about
5 minutes the owner tried to speed up but the boat never colud get on a plane even at wide open throtle.  The owner seems to think it may be a clogged fuel filter.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  What was the resolution?  FYI the trip to Lansing from Pittsburgh takes about 5 hours.

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This type of problem has been talked about a lot this year. Usually it is some combination of plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel or fuel filters. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What were the RPMs at WOT? If they were high could be a slipping prop hub. If low go back to fuel (filter/pump/fuel delivery) or spark (cap, wires, rotor, plugs)
  • Options
    @Michael T They were high.  It is interesting you mentioned the prop because the pictures on the web show no prop on the boat  and the owner said he just installed a new one.  I thought that might be the problem and called him to see if it was the first time he used the boat.  I thought the pitch may be an issue but he indicated it worked well after he installed it.   
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would verify what prop he has put on and see if its close to what it was or should be and go from there
  • Options
    @rkinross ....RPMs that are too high can be wrong prop (diameter, blades, pitch, rake) or prop with slipping hub, wrong out drive gear ratio, engine coupler. From what you have just indicated I agree with Steve to start with the prop.
  • Options
    @Michael T @Handymans342 @Aqua_Aura Thank you for your comments on this post.  The owner is having it checked out by his mechanic and I will post the results.  If it is a slipping hub could this cause any damage?  I thought that splines on the prop would prevent any type of slipping.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @rkinross.....a slipping hub will not cause any damage per se unless you allow the engine to over rev. Yes, there are splines on a prop that slide onto the matching splines of the drive's prop shaft. Most props have a rubber bushing for want of a better word that absorb shock to prevent damage to the drive or its prop shaft. The prop's hub bushing can deteriorate and allow the prop to spin. No big deal to fix.
  • Options
    The cause of the problem was the fuel pump.  Once it was replaced the problem is corrected.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you going to buy the boat? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg Yes!!!   Just picked it up on Saturday 9/4 and had to rent a pickup truck to get it home from Michigan.  U-Haul on RT 8 in Glenshaw is a great group of people to work with.  The Ohio and PA turnpike make their construction lanes so narrow it was nerve wracking driving thru them with a trailer in tow.  Now I have to by a SUV to pull it.  I am looking at Toyota Highlanders to replace my Hyundai Tucson.  The Tucson just is not heavy enough to pull the 192.   
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Yes sir road construction and narrow lane's make ya pucker up.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Congratulations on your new to you Rinker!  I had the exact same one a long time ago!

One word of advice....ditch the hydrofoil and get some Nauticus Smart Tabs.  Add a 4-blade 20" stainless prop and you'll be super happy!!
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    @mvn Thanks for the advice.  I don't think it has a hydrofoil on it.  What is the advantage of a stainless steel prop?
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Sorry, photo looked like something was bolted to your lower unit.

Lots of discussions in the sport boat section on propping 192s.  Better performance with watersports. 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme